Home / Accueil

Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage

109, Main, Town of Markham, Ontario, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1986/11/11

Of note are the unequal north and south projections.; Kirsten Pries, 2008.
Facade Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage, 2008
Featured is the south elevation veranda.; Kirsten Pries, 2008.
Veranda, Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage
Of note is the Italianate entrance with transom and pilasters.; Kirsten Pries, 2008.
Entrance, Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage

Other Name(s)

Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage
109 Main Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/01/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage is located at 109 Main Street, on the east side of Main Street, north of Pavillion Street in Unionville in the Town of Markham. The property consists of a two storey frame and plaster residence that was constructed in 1879.

The property was designated by the Town of Markham in 1986 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 379-86).

Heritage Value

Located at 109 Main Street, the Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage contributes to the predominately late Victorian residential character of Unionville's main street, south of the railway.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage is associated with the Bethesda and St. John's congregations and is believed to be the craftsmanship of local carpenter and builder George Robinson. In 1879 the pioneer James Eckhardt sold the land to the trustees of the two congregations for the purpose of building a parsonage. A number of ministers occupied the parsonage until 1918; the last of these was Reverend Willison, the first graduate of the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary. After a decline in church attendance the parsonage was rented out until 1947 when it was sold as a private residence.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage is a good representation of Victorian vernacular style as seen by the building's asymmetrical arrangement. The facade entrance is not centred and the projections on the north and south elevations differ in size creating an inexact cross-like shape. Characteristic of the style is the elegant front entrance composed of an Italianate double wooden door, which once belonged to the old Toronto Conservatory of Music. The door, with glass panels at the top, is surrounded by a flat-headed transom light, pilasters ornamented with recessed panels and a canopy supported by elongated brackets. Other distinguishing features of the Victorian style include two sets of two storey bay windows and a side veranda. A quatrefoil decorates the street-facing gable.

Source: Town of Markham By-law 379-86.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage include its:
- location on Main Street
- two storey plaster exterior
- cross gable roof
- quatrefoil in facade gable
- entrance with transom and pilasters
- canopy with elongated brackets
- north elevation projection
- larger south elevation projection
- asymmetrical facade
- original wood double front door
- south elevation veranda
- two storey bay windows




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1947/01/01 to 1947/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Single Dwelling


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer



George Robinson

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of Markham Anthony Roman Centre Planning and Urban Design Department 101 Town Centre Boulevard Markham, Ontario L3R9W3

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places