14386 Creditview Road
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Cheltenham Store is located at 14386 Creditview Road on the west side of Creditview Road, south of Station Road, in the Village of Cheltenham, Town of Caledon. The two storey commercial stone building was constructed in 1887.
The property was designated by the Town of Caledon in 1991 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 91-18).
The Cheltenham Store is associated with a variety of commercial uses in the Village of Cheltenham. It was constructed in 1887 for Frederick Haines, a local merchant, and replaced an earlier frame building destroyed by fire. Over the years the building has housed a bank, store, post office, library, tailor's shop and doctor's office, and has always retained a residential function on the upper storey. When the telephone was introduced into the north half of the former Chinguacousy Township in 1910, this building housed the area's first telephone switchboard. In addition, the village's first gasoline pumps were located in front of the store at the road edge.
Built in 1887, the Cheltenham Store reflects the construction style and materials common to commercial buildings at the time. The large, two storey structure is characterized by its square plan, flat roof, use of local sandstone and limestone, and cut stone quoins. The structure has a double store front and a front verandah with decorative fretwork. The front facade is of randomly set dressed sandstone, whereas all other facades are of roughly dressed limestone. On all facades, the original flat top sash, two over two windows feature sandstone sills and decorative curved sandstone lintels with a keystone.
Source: Town of Caledon, By-law 91-18.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Cheltenham Store include its:
- two storey stone exterior
- use of dressed sandstone and rough limestone
- cut stone quoins
- flat roof sloping very slightly to the rear
- two over two sash straight top windows
- sandstone sills and lintels with a keystone on the curved tops
- symmetrical 5 bay upper storey front facade
- double store front
- wooden flat roofed verandah with decorative fretwork on front facade
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Caledon
Planning and Development
6311 Old Church Road
Cross-Reference to Collection