Charles Hamilton House
84 High Street East
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Charles Hamilton House is located at 84 High Street East, on the northwest corner of Ann Street and High Street East, in the city of Mississauga. The two-and-a-half storey coursed rubble and dressed beige stucco and shake residence was constructed in circa 1912.
The property was designated, by the City of Mississauga in 2007, for its cultural heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 206-2007.
Located in Port Credit, the Charles Hamilton House is an integral part of the historic streetscapes and local vistas. Directly to the east of this property is a structure of similar size, mass and architectural style, at 90 High Street East. These houses, considered together, form a strong residential streetscape that has remained relatively unchanged since the early twentieth century. Due to the building's position on a corner lot, it has a strong relationship with both Ann Street and High Street East, and is highly visible from both. The proximity of the property to the commercial core and main streets is also significant, reminiscent of Charles Hamilton's important social and economic associations with Port Credit.
The Charles Hamilton House is associated with Charles Griffith Hamilton. Hamilton was Port Credit's Post Master from 1894 to 1921. His family's general store occupied a downtown location at 71 Lakeshore Road East. During Charles' tenure, the general store boasted the first gasoline pump on Highway 2 (Lakeshore Road). An active community member, Hamilton served as Councillor in 1926 and 1927.
Hamilton commissioned Lawrence Park architects, Chadwick and Beckett, to design his home. It is believed that the $10,000 structure, which was a substantial sum at the time, was built in 1912. The firm had previously designed at least one other Port Credit dwelling, that of lawyer Alfred W. Briggs. Hamilton requested that the home be designed to complement its neighbour to the east, a unique and early colonial bungalow style dwelling. This was the home of William Thomas Gray, president of St. Lawrence Starch and son of the founder of St. Lawrence Starch. The homes together comprise an entire block and compliment each other.
The Charles Hamilton House is an excellent example of the Bungalow style from the Arts and Crafts tradition. Structural and stylistic details characteristic of this architectural style include its wide eaves and overhangs, decorative brackets, variety of window types, shapes and sizes, and its use of vernacular and rustic materials. As well, the ample exterior space surrounding the building is characteristic of the Bungalow style and is meant to link the house with the surrounding environment. Elements of the Tudor-Revival style are demonstrated through the half-timbering located on the east-wing, the stone base and small windows.
Sources: Corporate Report: 84 High Street East – “The Hamilton Property” (Ward 1) City of Mississauga, June 13, 2005; The City of Mississauga By-law 206-2007.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Charles Hamilton House include its:
- two-and-a-half storey coursed rubble and dressed beige stucco and shake construction
- gable roof
- multiple dormers
- ornamental soffit
- decorative brackets
- wide eaves and overhangs
- large partial width porch with square stone columns
- original stone foundation
- large stone chimney
- variety of window types, shapes and sizes
- panelled front door flanked by two sidelights with bottom panels
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Chadwick and Beckett
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
201 City Centre Drive
9th Floor, Community Services
Cross-Reference to Collection