Home / Accueil

Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library

2216 Lakeview Road, Cambridge-Narrows, New Brunswick, E4C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2009/12/14

This image shows the front façade of the former Temperance Hall, now the Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library; Village of Cambridge-Narrows
Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library
This image shows the side view of the former Temperance Hall, now the Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library; Village of Cambridge-Narrows
Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library
No Image

Other Name(s)

Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library
Temperance Hall
Salle de tempérance
Lions Hall
Salle Lions
Agriculture Hall
Bâtiment agricole
Women's Institute Hall
Salle de l'Institut féminin
Senior Citizens Hall
Salle pour personnes de l'âge d'or

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/02/10

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library is a small, shingled wood frame building that has been refurbished inside and out and is fast becoming a community centre. It was built within a decade of 1860 and retains its structural integrity from that period.

Heritage Value

The Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library is designated a Local Historic Place for its documented uses the years that represent a lot of the social history of the village. The Baptist cause was strong in the village and its followers were natural adherents of Leonard Tilley and his temperance organization, the International Order of Good Templars. This hall was built about 1860 on land donated by Samuel Black, and possibly built, at least in part by him. It was certainly there in 1867 when Leonard Tilley planted the so-called “Tilley Elms” along the front of the hall in commemoration of Canada’s Confederation. By the 1970’s, when these trees had become a hazard, they were removed and one member of the Senior Citizens group salvaged a large round section, dressed it, polished it and preserved it as a souvenir; it still is displayed in the library.

The Templars occupied the building into the early 20th century, then for as much as six decades, it served as the Agricultural Hall. The Agriculture Societies were widespread within the province and were made up of local farmers whose chief goal was to improve methods of farming. They held one-day agricultural fairs in this building and were involved in sponsoring lime kilns and importing well-bred animals for breeding purposes.

With the decline of small farms, the hall was obtained by the local Senior Citizens group who made substantial improvements to it, including indoor plumbing. As this group declined, the hall was used by a relatively short-lived community Women’s Institute group, and then by an equally short-lived Lions group. In the 21st century, the Village Council, at the request of a well-organized and energetic citizens’ group, decided to explore the idea of a library for the Village of Cambridge-Narrows and the surrounding area. This has come to fruition and it is a pleasant, useful and vibrant addition to the community.

The basic structure of the original hall is still evident. The addition of the foyer was designed purposely to complement the original structure. The two doors into the main building are reminiscent of the typical one room school construction in rural areas and the original placement of the windows has been maintained. The only original feature in the interior is the board and batten treatment of the walls.

Source: Queens County Heritage Archives – Cambridge-Narrows Historic Places files

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements relating to the Cambridge-Narrows Regional Library include:

- evidence of typical construction of the period;
- rectangular one-and-a-half storey massing;
- gable roof;
- shingled siding;
- original window placement still evident.

- board-and batten walls;
- wooden remnant of a Tilley Elm;
- placement of original doors.

- convenient location near the center of the village.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Conservation Act

Recognition Type

Local Historic Place (municipal)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1867/01/01 to 1867/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Governing Canada
Government and Institutions
Building Social and Community Life
Community Organizations

Function - Category and Type




Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Architect / Designer



Samuel Black

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Queens County Heritage Archives, 69 Front Street, Gagetown, NB

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places