220, Cambria, City of Stratford, Ontario, Canada
220 Cambria Street
Links and documents
1895/01/01 to 1896/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Trow house is located at 220 Cambria Street, on the north side of Cambria Street east of Shrewsbury Street, in the City of Stratford. The two-and-a-half-storey red brick residence was constructed between 1895 and 1896.
The property was designated by the City of Stratford in 1986 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 183-86).
The Trow House was built between 1895 and 1896 for Thomas Trow, a local land conveyancer, broker and the son of one of Stratford's earliest pioneers. The residence is an excellent example of a late Victorian Baronial mansion. Of particular interest is the irregular roof line and three storey tower with conical roof and finial.
Source: City of Stratford, By-law 183-86.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 220 Cambria Street include the:
- two-and-a-half-storey red brick exterior
- irregular multiple pitched roofline
- brick chimney
- three storey tower with conical roof and finial
- stone sills
- brick hoodmolds
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Stratford
Office of the City Clerk-Administrator
1 Wellington Street
P.O Box 818
Cross-Reference to Collection