244, King, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Moore-Bishop-Stokes House is located at 244 King Street, on the corner of King and Platoff Streets in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The house was built circa 1828 with a significant addition added circa 1860. The property includes a large silver maple tree in the rear yard that was planted in 1892.
The property was designated by the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1980 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 984-79).
The Moore-Bishop-Stokes House is the oldest building on King Street, and is one of several of its kind that were part of the post-War of 1912 expansion of old Niagara. A school is reputed to have occupied the house at one time, and the building was noted as a lodging house in the 1870s. A large silver maple, planted in 1892 by the Bishop family, survives and further contributes to the property's value.
The Moore-Bishop Stokes House features a Neo-classical design typical to the Niagara area at the time of its construction. The two storey asymmetrical structure includes several features of interest, including the restored clapboard, sash, entrance doorcase, cornice gutters, large interior chimney and eaves returns. The yellow clapboard exterior and wood shingle roofing compliments the streetscape. The lean-to addition was constructed circa 1860 by the second owner, John Doritty. Original interior details are also included in the designation, specifically the door cases, chair rails, parts of the staircase and the drawing room mantelpiece.
Source: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, By-law 984-79.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Moore-Bishop-Stokes property include the:
- exterior clapboard
- sash windows
- front entrance door case
- cornice gutters
- eaves returns
- asymmetrical front facade with off-centre doorway
- wood shingle roofing
- large interior chimney
- lean-to addition (circa 1860)
- interior door cases
- interior chair rails
- parts of the staircase
- drawing room mantelpiece
- large silver maple tree planted in 1892
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning and Development Department
Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Municipal Offices
1593 Four Mile Creek Road, P.O. Box 100,
Virgil, Ontario, L0S 1T0
Cross-Reference to Collection