Captain John Champion House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This one-and-one-half storey Victorian Plain style house features a gable roof with central chimney. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the community of Northport and is located on a small lot about one hundred metres from the Northport Wharf with a panoramic view of Cascumpec Bay, Oulton's Island, and the sandhills.
The house is valued for its historical association with Captain John Champion and other residents of Northport.
Captain John Champion (1847-1921) resided in this house with his wife, Sarah Rogers, and their three daughters, Kate, Ellie, and Blanche, who would later marry Rev. W.J. Phillips.
Champion had a cooperage shop and owned the vessel, "Sarah Pierre" as well as the "Sch. Express" which had been built in Essex, Massachusetts in 1884. He also managed the Canadian National Railway freight shed at the railway wharf.
When the schooner, the "A.J. McKeen" was wrecked nearby in November 1906, he organized the lifeboat crew who rescued the survivors. He later lobbied the federal government to establish the Sea Rescue Station in Northport.
After 1921, the property was purchased by William Aubrey, a boat builder. In 1957, it was owned by Upton (Charlie) Fraser. The current owner purchased it in 2009.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A46
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing
- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof
- the central brick chimney
- the off centre vestibule on the front elevation
- the single storey kitchen extension at the back of the house
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A46
Cross-Reference to Collection
Sea Rescue Station
This single storey wood framed building has a gable roof and wood shingle cladding. A flagstaff extends from one of the gable ends. It is located on the shore at the north end…