279 Regent Street
279 Regent Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Fowler family owned this two-storey Gothic Revival style structure situated on the west side of Regent Street in Fredericton. Completed by 1860, this dwelling is located on a large, open lot at the corner of Regent and Needham streets.
The heritage value of this house resides both in the detail and design of the Gothic Revival architectural style and in its ownership by the Fowler family. William Fowler, son of Thomas Fowler, purchased the lot for this dwelling in 1859. William Fowler, Secretary of the Fredericton Boom Company, and his brother John resided at this house for nearly a decade. John Fowler, a carpenter by trade, later moved to University Avenue. This dwelling remained in the Fowler family until 1960, ending a century of tenancy by the Fowler family when Thomas L. Fowler's widow sold the property.
This residence is an excellent example of a Maritime interpretation of Gothic Revival residential architecture. Some tell-tale features of this style include the steeply-pitched central cross-gable and the elaborate woodwork trim.
Source: City of Fredericton, Local Historic Places Files
The character-defining elements associated with 279 Regent Street include:
- its situation upon a large, open lot with manicured lawn;
- symmetrical two-storey wood-frame structure;
- steeply-pitched central cross-gable with drop pendant and finial at the apex;
- steeply-pitched lateral gable roof;
- brackets and drop pendants along the eaves;
- central door with hood;
- large, rectangular central window surmounted by triangular, ornamented pediment;
- side windows with label moulding;
- large, projecting bay windows flanking the main door;
- enclosed veranda on the south façade.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Fredericton, Local Historic Places files, "279 Regent Street"
Cross-Reference to Collection