Home / Accueil

Fintry Packinghouse

near Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1996/04/30

Fintry Packinghouse; Ministry of Environment, BC Parks, 2010
brick half of building, oblique view
Fintry Packinghouse; Ministry of Environment, BC Parks, 2010
side view
Fintry Packinghouse; Ministry of Environment, BC Parks, 2010
wood half of building, oblique view

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1924/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2011/02/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Fintry Packinghouse comprises a long gable-roofed structure and associated remnants of a wharf, located on the shore of Okanagan Lake in Fintry Provincial Park near Kelowna, British Columbia. It is part of a complex of related buildings and structures known locally as the Fintry Estate.

Heritage Value

The Fintry Packinghouse is significant because it conveys the scale and vision of the agricultural operations developed by James C. Dun-Waters at the Fintry Estate between 1909 and 1939. The packinghouse operated from 1924 until the early 1940's.

Fitted with a Pelton water turbine to generate electrical power for the cold storage of orchard produce, this building represents the isolation of the estate far from the developing electrical grid in the Okanagan, its singular hydro asset in the form of the precipitous run of Shorts Creek to its delta, and the ambition of Dun-Waters himself.

The Fintry Packinghouse is important because it is the most visible remnant of the estate's once-extensive apple orchard operation, which at one time covered approximately half of the delta lands. The water-facing end of the building was used to grade and pack the apples produced on the estate for shipment off-site on the Canadian Pacific Railway steamships. The rear of the building was used for long-term refrigerated storage of crated apples.

Source: Ministry of Environment, BC Parks

Character-Defining Elements

Key character-defining elements of the Fintry Packinghouse include:

Site:
-location overhanging the lake
-orientation square to the lakeshore line
-diagonal road connection to Burnside
-remnants of original wharf structure

Building:
-two distinct parts to the building sharing single gable roof: the wood-framed grading, packing and shipping end; the structural clay tile storage room end
-clerestory windows with shed roof in northwest quadrant of roof
-wood latticed monitors over storage room end
-remnant wood doors, sliding doors and windows and their associated hardware

Recognition

Jurisdiction

British Columbia

Recognition Authority

Province of British Columbia

Recognition Statute

Park Act, s.5

Recognition Type

Provincial Park (Establishment)

Recognition Date

1996/04/30

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Historic or Interpretive Site

Historic

Food Supply
Food Storage Facility

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Ministry of Environment, BC Parks

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

EaQu-76

Status

Published

Related Places

front view

Fintry Manor House

The Fintry Manor House is the one-and-a-half storey building with a prominent stone foundation set in a garden landscape near the shore of Okanagan Lake in Fintry Provincial Park…

front view

Fintry Octagonal Dairy Barn

The Fintry Octagonal Dairy Barn is a distinctive barn of octagonal shape set amidst a collection of conventionally gable-roofed barns and farm outbuildings near the point where…

oblique view

Fintry Haybarn-Granary

The Fintry Haybarn-Granary is a gambrel-roofed structure situated immediately to the west of the Octagonal Dairy Barn in Fintry Provincial Park near Kelowna, British Columbia. It…

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places