Algonquin Golf Course
Brandy Cove Road, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Algonquin Golf Course and Academy is an 18-hole golf facility that consists of a 7,000 yard, par 71 course on 6 hectares. The course offers many views of St. Andrews Harbour. Historic clubhouses are also designated elements of this site.
The Algonquin Golf Course is designated a Local Historic Place for its long time association with the game of golf in St. Andrews, for its amazing scenic views and for its historic clubhouses.
Golfers began golfing on courses in St. Andrews in 1894. Sir William Van Horne and Sir Leonard Tilley were two of the earliest golf members here, and Queen Victoria’s son, Prince Arthur, golfed the links at St. Andrews in 1897. Mr. William Winch, the first president of the club, laid out the links. When completed, the course was said to be one of the best natural links in North America. The course was originally known as Joe’s Point Links and has always been operated in conjunction with the Algonquin Hotel. The golf course was an instant success and was well patronized by the wealthy class of visitors, male and female, to St. Andrews. Originally a 9-hole golf course, the course was expanded to 18 holes in 1896 and Robert S. Gardiner donated a clubhouse. By 1897 it was known as the finest 18-hole course in Canada. In 1898, a major golf tournament was held on this course with the best golfers in Canada and the U.S.A. Philip Prescott Jr., of Washington D.C. was the winner. The course became famous and was advertised as the most picturesque golf course in North America, drawing many golfers to St. Andrews. The links have been redesigned numerous times, most recently in 2000 by renowned award winning Canadian golf course architect Thomas McBroom. In 2004, Scoregolf ranked the course 31st in Canada, and 5th in the Maritimes. The course and the original clubhouse are considered the oldest in Atlantic Canada. The second clubhouse, constructed in the 1930’s and currently located near the 4th hole, has also been conserved.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
The character-defining elements of the Algonquin Golf Course include:
- scenic views of St. Andrews Harbour and Passamaquoddy Bay;
- continued association with the Algonquin Hotel;
- contribution to St. Andrews leisure and tourism development;
- low-profile single-storey original clubhouse with a hipped roof located near the 17th hole;
- clubhouse dating from the 1930’s located near the 4th hole.
Local Governments (NB)
Heritage Conservation Act
Local Historic Place (municipal)
1896/01/01 to 1896/01/01
1894/01/01 to 1894/01/01
2000/01/01 to 2000/01/01
1930/01/01 to 1930/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Sports and Leisure
Function - Category and Type
- Tourist Facility
- Sports Facility or Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, Town of St. Andrews
Cross-Reference to Collection