St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
22279 116 Avenue, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
St. Andrew's United Church
St. Andrews Heritage Church
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is located on 116 Avenue in its original location, adjacent to its 1906 manse and close to the historic core of Port Haney. The steeple is prominent in the area and the rear of the building is highly visible from the Haney Bypass.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is a significant heritage resource within Maple Ridge and is valued as one of the oldest churches in the City and for its association with area pioneer Thomas Haney. It is also indicative of the early brickmaking activities in the area as a contributing factor in the growth of Port Haney at the time of its construction.
The early settlement of Port Haney was centred on the Fraser River, which provided the earliest access before the development of roads through the area. Over time, significant commercial and residential activity occurred and Port Haney became a major transportation hub in the region. Decline set in after the Great Depression and a devastating fire in 1932 that destroyed much of the business centre. The fire caused commercial activity to relocate to the north along the newly opened Lougheed Highway, a make-work project that connected the Fraser Valley communities by road. Port Haney remains as a heritage precinct and a reminder of the early history of the City of Maple Ridge and the development of its original small town centres.
The Presbyterian Church was considered an important community facility as demonstrated by the use of volunteer labour in its construction, the donation of land by Thomas Haney, who was Catholic, and the donation of bricks by the local small kiln operators in the area. The community spirit fostered by the construction of the church was further reflected in the growth of the commercial area of Port Haney, in close proximity to the church.
Clad in local brick and designed in a manner that gives the building a strong sense of purpose, the presence of the building afforded the residents of Port Haney a feeling of permanence within their community. The Church is also valued as one of the few early churches in British Columbia clad with brick. A reflection of the bustling brick making businesses in the area, this structure is unique among the early pioneer churches of the region.
The adjacent manse, located at 22289-22291 116 Avenue, was built in 1906, and was first occupied by the Reverend William Reid and his family. St. Andrew's Church operated as a Presbyterian Church, until 1925 when it merged during Unification with the Maple Ridge Methodist Church, and became St. Andrew's United Church. The church steeple was built in 1934 to house the disused bell from the Maple Ridge Methodist Church. In 1956, the bell followed the congregation to a new church built on Dewdney Trunk Road. The preservation of this important heritage structure demonstrated a growing community consciousness of the value of historic resources; the City of Maple Ridge acquired the church, and in 1983 the structure was restored for community use by the Maple Ridge Historical Society.
Source: Planning Department, City of Maple Ridge
Key elements that define the heritage character of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church include its:
- location near the core of historic Port Haney
- form, scale and massing
- symmetry of plan and elevation
- steep front gable roof
- steeple at the front
- locally made brick cladding
- parged brick courses and foundation
- double-hung wood sash 4-over-4 windows with blind pointed arches above
- surviving interior features including original window trim
- adjacent manse
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
1983/01/01 to 1983/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning Department, City of Maple Ridge
Cross-Reference to Collection