9660 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5H, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Lodge Hotel, originally the Pendennis Hotel, consists of a three-storey brick mixed-use building situated on a city lot in a mid-block location on the north side of Jasper Avenue in the Boyle Community that was the centre of Edmonton’s pre-World War One downtown.
The Lodge Hotel is significant for its association with the early development of Edmonton’s civic core and the Boyle community, one of Edmonton’s older settled neighbourhoods. It is one of a collection of surviving, important Jasper Avenue buildings associated with Edmonton’s early social and commercial life. Constructed in 1911, it was converted to apartments in the 1920s after prohibition laws came into effect.
The Lodge Hotel is also significant because of its architecture, which is a prominent example of an Edwardian-era combination of ground floor commercial and upper level residential functions. The building displays high quality materials and superior design in the construction of its main facade.
The Lodge Hotel is also significant because of its association with the Calgary architectural firm Lang, Major and Company, a Calgary-based partnership established in 1911. They designed many prominent civic and commercial buildings in Calgary.
Source: City of Edmonton Bylaw 12606
The Edwardian-era architecture of the building is expressed in character-defining elements such as:
- form, scale and massing;
- regular fenestration, including two rows of wood double-hung windows at the second and third floor levels on the front, east side and rear elevations;
- two main floor wood-framed, glazed storefronts with small-paned, prism glass transoms;
- red pressed-brick facade construction with cast stone pilasters, horizontal bands and decorative features including swags in the pilaster capitals;
- red pressed-brick east side and rear elevations;
- three symmetrically-located entrances, the central double-entrance with fanlight above;
- elevated parapet and modestly projecting central and end bays on the front facade;
- upper pressed-metal cornice and sign band that extends the full width of the building with central, arched pediment and large, end consoles;
- lower pressed-metal cornice and sign band that extends the full width of the building terminated by small volutes;
- a large, painted sign on the east wall.
Local Governments (AB)
Historical Resources Act
Municipal Historic Resource
1911/01/01 to 1920/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Lang Major and Company
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (Digital File 995881, Bylaw 12606)
Cross-Reference to Collection