St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church
314 Buller Street, Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church is a simple vernacular church structure with restrained Gothic elements. It is located in a residential neighbourhood adjacent to the town centre of Ladysmith, British Columbia. The historic place includes the church, attached hall, and mature trees in the churchyard.
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church exemplifies the nature of Ladysmith's earliest social and physical development. Like the town's Methodist and Presbyterian church buildings, this structure was moved to Ladysmith around 1900 from Wellington, a community about 20 miles to the north. When coal mining ended in Wellington, many buildings were moved to Ladysmith, newly created by industrialist James Dunsmuir to service nearby mines. In effect, Ladysmith was an instant company town. The early presence of these relocated buildings gave the young town a sense of permanence, cohesion and civility not often associated with pioneer mining towns. Located on this site since about 1900, and substantially intact, St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church continues to serve the community as a place of worship.
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church is a good example of a vernacular pioneer church. Originally built as a school sometime in the 1880s, the plain, rectangular building was substantially modified by 1910. Modifications included the addition of two transepts for a vestry and organ loft, an octagonal chancel, larger windows, a belfry and a vestibule and entry. Modest Gothic style elements include the pointed arch stained glass windows, slim bell tower and the pointed arch design of the main entry. In the 1950s, a nondescript hall was attached to the east side of the building. While unremarkable aesthetically, the hall is an integral part of the church complex.
The small adjacent churchyard, with its mature trees, conveys a sense of tranquility that complements the church buildings.
Source: Town of Ladysmith
The character-defining elements of St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church include:
- all the pioneer elements of the church including the modest scale, wooden siding and cedar shingles
- all the Gothic-inspired elements including the general massing of the structure with octagonal chancel and two transepts, the pointed arch, stained glass windows, slim bell tower and pointed arch in the front entry
- the mature trees on the property
- the attached, wood-sided hall
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
1902/01/01 to 1910/01/01
1902/01/01 to 1902/01/01
1955/01/01 to 1955/01/01
1900/01/01 to 1900/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Ladysmith
Cross-Reference to Collection