Description of Historic Place
The building at 77 King Street (Highway 42), known as St. Paul's Church (Anglican), is situated in the village of Delta in the Township of Rideau Lakes. The one-storey fieldstone, scored stucco building was designed in the Gothic Revival style and constructed in 1811, though conflicting documentation indicates that a date as late as 1820 is possible. The exterior, selected elements of the interior and the aesthetic scenic character of the property are protected by an Ontario Heritage Trust conservation easement. The property is also designated by the former Township of Bastard and South Burgess under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (Bylaw 499).
St. Paul's Church (Anglican) played a significant role in the religious history of the village of Delta. St. Paul's has been in continuous use for almost 200 years and is associated with the local establishment of three religious denominations, with Baptists, Anglicans and Methodists simultaneously using St. Paul's as a place of worship for a portion of the 19th century. In 1809, Baptist layman Nicholas Mattice purchased property from church elder Able James Stevens and Mattice donated part of this lot as a location for a Baptist church. Stevens lead the local Baptist community in the construction of the church, completing the exterior in 1811; the interior remained unfinished due to a lack of funds. Services were held in the local schoolhouse during the winter months, while the summer services were held in the churhc itself, which was equipped with board benches for seating. By 1814, the Anglican Diocese of Quebec appointed a missionary to serve Delta and, with no building of their own, the local Baptist community shared their church with the local Anglican population. In 1827, Anglican Bishop of Quebec, Right Rev. Stewart purchased the church property for 100 pounds (it is believed the transaction was made in order to have enough funds to complete the interior of the church). A contract followed between the Close Communion Baptist Church and the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, making both denominations joint occupants until April 18, 1864, after which the Baptists sold their share of the building for $100. The church was then named St. Paul's Church (Anglican). The church was also used by the local Methodist congregation for worship from 1843 to 1862. The church bell was donated by Chief Justice John Beverley Robinson in 1829 on the condition that the village be named Beverley as a commemoration of his generosity. The village was called Beverley until discovering another village of the same name existed in the province. The bell is still used today to announce services.
St. Paul's Church (Anglican) was constructed of fieldstone with a scored stucco surface which is meant to resemble fine cut stone, a common practice at that time. Significant Gothic Revival elements include the church's pointed-arch windows; three on the front (south) façade, three pointed-arch stained glass windows on each of the side walls, and one at the centre of the north (rear) façade. The wooden double doors of the main entrance are surmounted by a pointed-arch stained glass transom. The central square tower is topped with a crenellated parapet and a pinnacle at each corner. Four pointed-arch louvered windows with intercepting wood tracery in the arch are located on each side at the top of the tower. There is a circular date stone on the tower with inscription “St. Paul's erected 1811 A.D.” The bell, installed in the tower in 1829 is still in use today. The medium-sloped metal gable roof has a decorative wood moulded fascia, soffit and frieze. The parish hall, a one-storey addition, connects to the church at the eastern portion of the north façade, is of asphalt siding with a metal gable roof. The church interior contains a patterned wood slat ceiling with two moulded decorative panels with light fixtures suspended from the centre of these panels. The tower's interior displays the timber framing and thick fieldstone walls. St. Paul's underwent a renovation in 1868 and again in 1907 when new pews and windows were installed. In 1979 the building was again restored, funded in part by the Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Located at 77 King Street, St. Paul's is located on the main Highway that runs through Delta. The church is surrounded on all sides by a lawn with some deciduous trees and shrubs, while a forest borders the property on the north.
Source: Ontario Heritage Trust Easement files
Character defining elements that contribute to the historical value of St. Paul's Church (Anglican) include:
- association with the Baptist, Anglican, and Methodist denominations in Delta
- association with Nicholas Mattice
- association with church elder Able James Stevens
- association with Chief Justice John Beverley Robinson
Exterior features that contribute to the architectural value of St. Paul's Church Anglican) include:
- Gothic Revival style, with fieldstone construction
- stuccoed exterior walls, scored to resemble cut stone
- three pointed-arch windows on the front (south) façade
- wooden double entrance doors with pointed-arch stained glass transom
- three pointed-arch stained glass windows that line the side walls
- single pointed-arch window at the centre of the north façade
- central square tower, topped with a crenellated parapet, with a pinnacle at each corner
- circular date stone on the tower with inscription “St. Paul's erected 1811 A.D”
- 1829 bell donated by Chief Justice John Beverley Robinson
- medium-sloped metal gable roof with decorative wood moulded fascia, soffit and frieze
- parish hall addition
Interior features that contribute to the architectural value of St. Paul's Church (Anglican) include:
- patterned wood slat ceiling with two moulded decorative panels with light fixtures suspended from the centre of these panels
- timber framing and thick fieldstone walls on the interior of the tower
Character defining elements that contribute to the contextual value of St. Paul's Church (Anglican) include:
- location on the main highway that runs through Delta
- church surroundings of a lawn, trees and shrubs
- forest bordering the property to the north