503 Third Avenue, Whitewood, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada
Ashlar Lodge No. 8
Links and documents
1892/01/01 to 1892/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Masonic Hall is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies a corner lot in Whitewood. The property features a modest 11/2-storey wood-frame building constructed in 1892.
The heritage value of the Masonic Hall lies in its status as the first church built in Whitewood. The fact that the Methodist Church was built in 1892, the same year that Whitewood was incorporated as a town, demonstrates the high value that the early settlers placed on religion. The building was modest in design with a wood-frame and unadorned exterior. Due to a lack of financial support, and the construction of numerous other churches in the area in the following years, the Methodist Church was closed in 1910.
The heritage value of the Masonic Hall also lies in its status as a community gathering place. After its use as a church, the Masonic Lodge purchased the building in 1920. It served as meeting place for Ashlar Masonic Lodge #8 until 1987, when low membership forced the group to amalgamate with the Masonic local in Moosomin. Since then, the building has served as a gathering place for people and organizations in the community.
Town of Whitewood Bylaw No. 15/97.
The heritage value of the Masonic Hall resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting the building's use as a church, such as the stained glass, the round windows, and arched side-windows;
-those elements reflecting the building's function as a social gathering place, such as the open layout of the interior;
-the building's modest wood-frame design.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 1896
Cross-Reference to Collection