P'tit Sault Blockhouse
10 St-Jean Avenue, Edmundston, New Brunswick, E3V, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The P’tit Sault Blockhouse consists of a strategic site on a rocky hillock, overlooking the confluence of the Saint John and the Madawaska Rivers in the City of Edmundston, crowned by the reconstructed P’tit Sault Blockhouse.
Constructed on this strategic hillock in 1841, the P’tit Sault Blockhouse Provincial Historic Site was one of a number of blockhouses, also referred to as forts, the original blockhouse was built as part of the British line of defence during the bloodless Aroostook War.
This conflict was the result of disputes over the border between the New Brunswick and the State of Maine in the early 1800’s. The war is referred to as ‘bloodless’ because of the lack of casualties on either the British or American sides. It ended with the signing of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty in 1842. The treaty settled the border conflict and divided the population of the Madawaska region between New Brunswick and the State of Maine.
The original fort burnt in 1855.
Source: Department of Wellness, Culture and Sport, Heritage Branch, Site File # 80
Character-defining elements of P’tit Sault Blockhouse include:
- the rocky hillock, perched 150 feet above the confluence of the Saint John River and Madawaska River;
- its strategic defence position, with views of the American border and river transportation routes along both river valleys;
- archaeological features including the original foundation.
Province of New Brunswick
Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(1)
Historic Sites Protection Act – Historic
1855/01/01 to 1855/01/01
1842/01/01 to 1842/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Governing Canada
- Military and Defence
Function - Category and Type
- Public Art or Furnishings
- Undetermined (archaeological site)
- Exposed Site
- Civil Defence Site
- Military Defence Installation
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Wellness, Culture and Sport, Heritage Branch, Site File # 80
Cross-Reference to Collection