Description of Historic Place
The Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse is a 19.8 metre (65 feet) tapered, wooden tower which guides vessels into the Boughton River from the Northumberland Strait. It was constructed in 1901 to replace the original 1898 lighthouse which was destroyed by a gale in 1900. The lighthouse is located on the eastern side of Juniper Point, near the fishing village of Annandale,
Prince Edward Island.
The Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse is a heritage lighthouse because of its historical, architectural, and community values.
The Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse is a very good example of the development of the aids to navigation system in Prince Edward Island. The treacherous waters of this area of the Northumberland Strait resulted in a number of shipwrecks and the establishment of lighthouses helped to safeguard mariners.
The lighthouse is a very good example of the socio-economic development of the village of Annandale. At the turn of the 20th century, the Island lacked a land transport route, with goods such as potatoes being exported by water. The lighthouse supported the shipbuilding, fish processing and the fishing industry, the latter which remains active today.
The Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse is a very good example of an elongated, wooden, utilitarian lighthouse design. Its unusually tall height and slender profile make it the tallest range light on Prince Edward Island. It is notable for its pleasing proportions and its use of the traditional red and white Canadian lighthouse colours. It has no permanent foundation, which allows it to be moved if necessary due to shoreline erosion or a realignment of the range.
The Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse stands at the shoreline of Juniper Point, near the entrance to the Boughton River and in proximity of a number of homes. Its height, distinctive proportions, and red and white colours make it visible from all vantage points in the village of Annandale. The lighthouse reinforces the maritime setting of this coastal location and remains a valued symbol of the local community.
No related buildings.
The following character-defining elements of the Annandale Rear Range Lighthouse should be respected:
- its intact, as-built structural form, distinctive height, profile, and balanced proportions;
- its wooden frame sheathed in wooden shingles;
- its original, square wooden lantern;
- its simple four-over-four windows that are placed off-centre on the lower sections of the tower, but centred near the top;
- its traditional red and white exterior colour scheme;
- its visual prominence in relation to the water and the landscape.