John McDonald House
47 King Street , Miramichi, New Brunswick, E1N, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The John McDonald House, a two and a half storey clapboard dwelling, is situated at 47 King Street in the City of Miramichi.
The John McDonald House is valued for its association with Mr. McDonald, a prominent local building contractor and sash and door factory owner. The construction of many government buildings, grand homes and businesses built near the turn of the century can be accredited to Mr. McDonald. He took ownership of the residence in 1874 and his work crew would be sent to work on his home when the construction business was slow. Mr. McDonald also operated an undertaking business at the rear of his home.
Source: City of Miramichi, Heritage Office Site File #04-14.
Character defining elements related to context include:
- the building’s location within a grouping of period homes.
Character-defining elements of the exterior of this Victorian home with vernacular influences and additions include:
- asymmetrical rooflines indicating additions to the building;
- portions of building of plank construction with exterior being clapboards;
- massing is narrow and deep with open porch side front entrance utilizing narrow building lot;
- roof of front entrance porch has changed to gable with the removal of open second level porch;
- heavy brackets on lower level of two level front bay;
- open posted and bracketed area on south side wall accessing cellar extend above to open second level balcony with posts, rail and turned balusters;
- large six pane windows on first and second levels of south side line with pediment above containing ornate fan pattern;
- wide cornices, corner boards and lintels;
- some of the stained glass windows remain.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
1874/01/01 to 1874/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Technology and Engineering
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Developing Economies
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Miramichi, Heritage Office Site File #04-14.
Cross-Reference to Collection