CHARLES BARKER RESIDENCE
10834 - 125 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5M, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Charles Barker Residence, a one and one-half storey, cedar shingled, gabled roof building, has a shed dormer and covered verandah on the front facade. The wood frame structure is clad with wood siding and is located on a city lot in Edmonton's mature Westmont area.
The Charles Barker residence is an important architectural and historical example of a single-family dwelling with craftsman style influences built in Edmonton's Westmont area during the pre-World War One era.
Stewart Hill, a developer and realtor with the South Side Realty Company, built the Charles Barker residence after 1912. The location and modest craftsman style of the house was such that it was marketed to, and was most likely occupied by, professionals or civil servants. Several individuals and families have lived there since Charles Barker first occupied the house in 1915. The Westmount area has the greatest concentration of pre-World War One single-family dwellings in Edmonton.
Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw 13684)
The shape, form and massing of the building including the materials and the modest craftsman design elements such as:
- the gabled roof, shed dormer and enclosed verandah with hip roof;
- the materials such as, the wood siding and wood roof shingles;
- the window patterns and styles, such as, the picture and sash windows;
- the decorative elements such as, the short square verandah posts with plain base and capital, sloped soffit with exposed rafters, scalloped exposed end rafters and large triangular eave brackets;
- the contrasting trim and main wall colors;
- projecting bay window with cedar shingled hip roof and exposed rafters;
- exterior brick chimney with corbelled top.
Local Governments (AB)
Historical Resources Act
Municipal Historic Resource
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Edmonton Planning and Development Department, Strategic Services, Planning and Policy Services, 6th Floor, 10250 - 101 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T6J 3P4. (Digital File: # 659755 - 005)
Cross-Reference to Collection