Résidence de l’amiral
Former Naval Storekeeper’s House
Ancienne maison du magasinier naval
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House in the Dockyard at the Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Esquimalt, also known as Building D101, consists of a classically inspired, two-storey, rectangular hipped-roofed structure executed in brick and stone with a one-and-a-half storey gable roofed service wing. The building has an off-centre main entrance featuring a columned entrance portico. Above the second floor windows are prominent eave brackets. The west facing rear elevation bay windows are irregularly placed. The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House stands on a large, formal, carefully landscaped site. To the rear, the building overlooks the harbour entrance at Duntze Head. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House is a Classified Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House is associated with the build up of naval facilities and renewal of existing naval buildings at Esquimalt during the period from 1885-1904. It has served as the principal dockyard residence for most of its existence, and as the ceremonial and social centre of the naval base since the mid 1930s. The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House served as the home of the naval storekeeper, the civilian manager of the Dockyard, and is now the official residence of the rear-admiral, Maritime Command Pacific.
The building exhibits characteristics of traditional British Classicism with Italianate elements such as the eave brackets, the segmentally arched windows with label surrounds and the columned entrance portico. The structure is also noticeable for the irregular placement of windows and doors. Characterized by a formal and largely symmetrical composition, the building is a good example of a residence of classically inspired design. Details such as quoins accentuate and further emphasize the façade. The building is constructed of good quality materials and displays superior craftsmanship. The Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House is one of the best examples of the residential work of John Teague, an important Victorian designer.
Situated on its large and well-defined site some distance from the industrial and administrative buildings of the Dockyard, the building is a well-known landmark in the Dockyard and in the greater Victoria-Esquimalt community.
Sources: Ian Doull, Dockyard, CFB Esquimalt, British Columbia. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 89-202; Building D101 Admirals Residence, Dockyard, CFB Esquimalt, Heritage Character Statement 89-202.
The character-defining elements of the Admiral’s Residence and Former Naval Storekeeper’s House should be respected.
Its classically inspired design and good quality materials and craftsmanship as evidenced in:
- the rectangular, two-storey form of the building executed in brick and stone;
- the hipped-roof and the one-and-a-half storey gable roofed service wing;
- main entrance featuring a columned entrance portico;
- the prominent eave brackets over the second floor windows;
- the bay windows on the rear elevation;
- the quoins on all four corners of the building;
The manner in which the building reinforces the military character of the setting as evidenced in:
- its visual prominence owing to the design of the main elevation and its location on a site that is set back from the road and is characterized by formal landscape elements
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Classified Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Residential Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection