Residence Building 5 Classified Federal Heritage Building
Residence Building 5
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Residence at St Andrews consists of a large L shaped building of three-and-one-half storeys with wide cross-gambrel roof The exterior walls of the building are completely sheathed in cedar shingles. A glazed porch protects the main entrance. The Residence sits at the base of a well treed hillside overlooking Passamaquoddy Bay. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Residence at St. Andrews is a Classified Federal Heritage building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Residence illustrates the theme of Canada’s early commitment to research, management and husbandry of its marine resources. Concern for Canadian fisheries goes back to the beginning of confederation, and programmes of environmental controls and aquaculture were immediately launched to counteract the already recognized- problem of dwindling fish stocks, it was soon apparent that systematic scientific investigation would have to be undertaken to address the root causes. The establishment of St. Andrews Biological Station and the Pacific Biological Station at
Nanaimo in 1908 was the result of much lobbying on this subject by the Canadian scientific community. Many pioneering and distinguished scientists resided here including Dr. J. J. R. Macleod, who with Frederick Banting won the Nobel prize for the treatment of diabetes with insulin.
The Residence is a good example of the shingle style, the structure is wood framed with wooden sheathing under cedar shingle cladding. The building illustrates attractive proportions, colours and detailing, and features to be considered a good example of the shingle style. Constructed of good quality materials and craftsmanship the residence is well built.
The environmental importance of the building is due to its natural setting within the campus of the station, and its significance as the oldest surviving building. The campus consists of buildings of mixed architectural styles types dating from 1908 to the 1970s. The residence sits at the base of a wooded hillside with views to Passamaquoddy Bay and the fish-holding facility.
Mattie Heritage Enterprises, St. Andrews Biological Station, Brandy Cove Road, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 97-103.
Residence, St. Andrews Biological Station, Brandy Cove Road, St Andrews, N.B. Heritage Character Statement 97-103.
The following character-defining elements of the Residence should be respected, for example:
Its shingle style inspired design and good quality materials and craftsmanship as evidenced in:
-the simple, L shaped massing.
-the three and one-half storey form of the building.
-the wide cross-gambrel roof.
-the wood framing, sheathing and cedar shingle cladding.
-the decorative details.
The manner in which the building reinforces the picturesque character of the waterfront setting as evidenced in:
-Its scenic location on a waterfront parcel of land at the base of a wooded hillside.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Classified Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection