Home / Accueil

The Stone House

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1985/04/10

Exterior view of front facade, 008 Kennas Hill, the Stone House, St. John's,looking east. Taken February 2005.; HFNL 2005
008 Kenna's Hill, St. John's, NL.
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1834/01/01 to 1835/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/07/08

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Stone House is a four storey stone building located at 008 Kenna's Hill, St. John's, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

This building has been designated for its aesthetic and historical values.

008 Kenna’s Hill, the Stone House, is aesthetically valuable because it is a unique vernacular design made from stone. Built in 1834 by original owner Patrick Keough, this house is four stories tall. It has undergone several alterations to accommodate the various families who have lived there, one of which had 22 children. The building loosely resembles a saltbox style with an attached sunroom at the front. This glass enclosed space obscures the original main entrance but it is still visible from the interior. All the window openings are original in the house, as well as the floors and some of the panelling on the ground floor. The house is constructed of brick and stone, the front is of cut stone, probably imported from England. Each new addition to the house has been constructed in wood so that the original stone structure remains visible.

008 Kenna’s Hill, the Stone House, is historically valuable because of its association with Patrick Keough, builder and original owner. Keough was a noted builder who came to Newfoundland in 1829 to superintend the construction of Government House. He was also responsible for the construction of St. Thomas’ Church, Fort William and the Colonial Building. He served as an MHA for St. John’s in 1834, the same time that the Stone House was built, and was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1861. Keough’s descendants occupied the house throughout the latter half of the 19th century.

Source: City of St. John's Archives property file - 008 Kenna's Hill

Character-Defining Elements

All those elements that reflect the vernacular nature of the house, including:
-stone and brick construction;
-all original window openings, floors and panelling
-window fenestration; and
-wooden additions.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

City of St. John's

Recognition Statute

City of St. John's Act

Recognition Type

City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



Patrick Keough

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of St. John's Archives, 3rd Floor Railway Coastal Museum, 495 Water Street, P.O. Box 908, St. John's, NL A1C 5M2

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places