774 King Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick, E3B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Smyth (or "Smith") House, situated on a city lot at the lower end of King Street in Fredericton's town plat, is one of the earliest examples of a Loyalist dwelling. This simple 1 1/2 storey wood frame house, known as a "Hall/Parlour House", was occupied in 1787 by Mrs. Smyth. The western side wing and summer kitchen were later additions.
The heritage value of the Smyth house resides in its expression of Loyalist vernacular architecture. This 1 1/2 storey structure, known as a "Hall/Parlour House", is one of the earliest examples of a Loyalist dwelling. It serves as an illustration of the basic needs that the Loyalists satisfied in housing design. The solid construction of the house clearly demonstrates the importance of function over elaborate form and style. That the structure was built to last is clearly evident from its construction, with its deep stone foundation and the impressive amount of lumber used to erect this solid structure.
Source: City of Fredericton Property File: 774 King Street
The character defining elements of the Smyth House as an expression of Loyaist venacular architecture include:
- its location on a lot in the town plat;
- 1 1/2 storey structure with pitched roof;
- six over six windows with shutters on gable end of the structure
- post and beam construction;
- fieldstone foundation mortered in the upper two feet, below which remains unmortered;
- its use of local building materials and skill;
- large central fireplace;
- period molding and trim.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Fredericton - Property Files - File under "774 King Street"
Cross-Reference to Collection