St. Andrew's United Church
21 Water Street, Rexton, New Brunswick, E4W, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Andrew's United Church is a large, wood framed rectangular building located on a prominent point of land on the Richibucto River and is the tallest building in the Village of Rexton.
The St. Andrew's United Church heritage value resides in its association with the Rt. Hon Andrew Bonar Law and its illustration of the Scottish Presbyterians desire to have a place of worship for its congregation.
In 1820 the first Scottish Presbyterians to the Richibucto River built a small church on the same site as the present church, and later, replaced it with a second church that could seat a congregation of 300. When the church burnt in 1858 the present building, with a seating capacity of 850, was constructed a year later under the supervision of Reverend James Law. Reverend James Law was the father of Bonar Law, born in Rexton in 1858, and the only Prime Minister of Great Britain born outside of the United Kingdom.
This church was built during a time when Rexton was a thriving lumbering and shipbuilding community. The size of the building, being the largest in the vicinity, and the interior finish, indicate the wealth of its congregation. In 1925 Presbyterian, along with the Methodist and Congregational Churches joined and this church became a member of the United Church of Canada.
Source: Village of Rexton Local Historic Places File #2004-4.
The character defining elements of the St. Andrew's United Church include:
- landmark status, visible for miles from both land and water;
- seating capacity of 850;
-130 foot spire;
- simple rectangular form with a square tower, steeple and gable roof;
- original cut sand stone foundation;
- white painted wood clapboards on exterior of main building, cedar shingle on steeple;
- lourved shutters on belfry on four sides;
- original Gothic style windows with stained glass additions in the late 1900's;
- the large cast bell in the belfry reads "Presented to the Presbyterian Church by John Jardine and Son, Liverpool, 1860";
- constructed on a rectangular plan with a combination of Georgian and Gothic detail;
- pulpit and choir loft located front and center;
- interior balcony on three sides;
- painted wide pine pews;
- formal interior entry with stairways to the left and right to gain access to the balcony.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Village of Rexton Municipal Office
Cross-Reference to Collection