Bathurst Curling Club
209 St. Andrew Street, Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Bathurst Curling Club consists of a square two-story athletic complex built in 1940. It is located in the heart of the city of Bathurst on St. Andrew Street, which is the site of the original curling club dating back to 1909.
The heritage value of the Bathurst Curling Club as a local historic place resides in the continuity of the sport of curling in Bathurst since 1883.
The original club dates back to 1909 and was built on St. Andrew Street where the current club is now located. The current club was built in 1940 after the original building burned down.
The heritage value is also attributed to the Bathurst Curling Club for the efforts of many of its members to advance the sport of curling and for the track record of some of its players. Nicholas Thibodeau (1885 1959) certainly stands out as one of the best curlers and was inducted into the Canadian Curling Hall of Fame and the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame. Other members of the Bathurst Curling Club also played an important role in the advancement of curling in New Brunswick, such as Mrs. Gladys Hinton, Mrs. Mae McMurray and Mr. Joseph E. Connolly.
Source: Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission “Bathurst Curling Club” file
The character defining elements of the Bathurst Curling Club include:
- original location dating back to 1909;
- front part of the building;
- two storey square construction;
- flat roof;
- symmetry of the façade.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
1909/01/01 to 1909/01/01
1883/01/01 to 1883/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Sports and Leisure
Function - Category and Type
- Sports Facility or Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission Inc., 360 Dougla Ave., Bathurst, NB
Cross-Reference to Collection