546 - 548 Devonshire Road
546 - 548 Devonshire Road, Windsor, Ontario, N8Y, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
546 - 548 Devonshire Road is a massive residential structure that consists of two semi-detached dwellings. Built circa 1890, this two and a half storey dark red brick building is of the Richardsonian Romanesque style and was constructed during the first phase of residential development in the former town of Walkerville. Recognized for its heritage value by City of Windsor Bylaws 9978, 1989, and 9979, 1989, the building is located in a neighbourhood replete with historic structures.
546 - 548 Devonshire Road is among the first residences built for management level employees in Walkerville by the Walkerville Land and Building Co. This structure is one of three massive semi-detached houses commissioned by the Hiram Walker and Sons Company around 1890 for their management-level employees. Similar residences were built for other professionals and members of the clergy in Walkerville. The residence at 546 - 48 Devonshire however, also had a direct connection to the Walker family: Harrington E. Walker, Hiram's grandson, lived in one of these units while waiting for his home on St. Mary's Gate to be built. The quality of these early residences set the tone for later managerial housing built to the south, in the early decades of the 20th century and during Walkersville’s second phase of development.
Designed by Mason and Rice of Detroit, 546 - 548 Devonshire Road constitutes one of the best surviving examples of ‘Richardson’ Romanesque architecture in Windsor. A unique feature of this style for residential buildings was to create the illusion of a single building while in actuality creating semi-detached units. 546 - 548 Devonshire Road achieves that intent. Value also lies in the fact that very few alterations have been undertaken to the exterior since its construction. As such, the rounded entry-ways, square windows, hipped roof, side-by-side dormers, cedar shingles and shared brick balustrade are virtually intact. The powerful massing and bold composition continues to depict a house of prominence and importance.
As one of three massive semi-detached structures in the 500 block it forms part of a continuous pattern of large structures along Devonshire Road. Other structures along the road include the Walkerville Town Hall (1904), the Walkerville Post Office (1914) and the Crown Inn (1893) – all heritage buildings.
Sources: Building Analysis Forms, December 18, 1997; City of Windsor Bylaws 9978, 1989, and 9979, 1989; and City of Windsor Heritage Planner’s files.
Key character defining elements that express the aesthetic and architectural value include:
- size, scale and imposing design;
- dark smooth brick surface, laid in common bond and featuring a variety of patterns;
- hip roof with flared eaves, clad in cedar shingles
- low-sprung Roman-arched entrances
- shared balconette with brick balustrade
- hipped roof dormers and shingled side gables
- double-hung sash windows
- vertical brick lintels
- dormer windows with Queen Anne panes
- low spring decorated brick arch entrances.
Key character defining elements that express its contextual value include:
- integral part of three massive semi-detached structures constructed about 1890
- its proximity to other large and imposing residential and commercial structures along Devonshire Road
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Mason and Rice
Walkerville Land and Building Company
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection