C.O. CARD HOUSE
337 Main Street, Cardston, Alberta, T0K, Canada
C.O. CARD HOUSE
C.O. Card and Card Home
C. O. Card Pioneer Home
C. O. Card Home
CO Card Home
Charles Ora Card Home
Mother Canton's Flannel Place
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The C.O. Card House is a one and one-half storey log building located on part of a city lot in central Cardston.
The heritage value of the C.O. Card House lies in its association with Charles Ora Card, founder of the present town of Cardston and responsible for the first Mormon "stake" in Canada. The house thus represented the focal point for Mormon expansion in Canada and the social centre of the Cardston settlement on the easterly edge of Lee's Creek and St. Mary's River.
Between 1887 and 1905, Card was instrumental in establishing an extensive irrigation system, gristmill, sawmill, cheese factory as well as the Cardston Mercantile Company for the new community. Mormon communities (such as Stirling, Raymond, Magrath and Taber) contributed in major proportions to the development of agriculture, irrigation and to southern Alberta industry, commerce and transportation.
Constructed in 1887, the same year the Mormons trekked from Utah to southern Alberta, the C.O. Card House is the oldest standing log building in the Cardston district and one of the oldest in Alberta. In accordance with the Mormon tradition of preserving the home of the community founder, the house was dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled as part of the community's Golden Jubilee in 1937 and is maintained as a museum.
Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 284)
The heritage value of the C.O. Card House is preserved in such character-defining elements as:
- horizontal log construction with traditional Mormon features such as a symmetrical front elevation with central gable and half dovetail notching;
- fenestration pattern with offset entrance;
- brick and stone chimneys;
- stone fireplaces;
- white washed and natural log finish on interior;
- door and window trim;
- porch addition (circa 1889) east elevation;
- original site on historic Main Street of Cardston.
Province of Alberta
Historical Resources Act
Provincial Historic Resource
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 284)
Cross-Reference to Collection