St. Martin's Roman Catholic Church
Links and documents
1927/01/01 to 1927/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Billimun Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Glen McPherson No. 46, approximately 13 kilometres northwest of the Village of Mankota. The property features a tall, one-storey wood-frame church built in 1927 and a cemetery dating from 1912.
The heritage value of the Billimun Church resides in its status as an architectural landmark and one of the oldest churches in the municipality. Prominently sited on a slight rise within a wide sweeping valley, the substantial country church is visible for many kilometres. Built in 1927, this landmark is further distinguished by its architecture, which exhibits lofty massing, a tall steeple and Gothic-arch windows. Notable features of the vast church interior include its balcony and high ceiling, which mirrors the gable roof. Hung from the centre of the ceiling, and contrasting with the otherwise austere interior, is a Russian chandelier taken from the initial church on site. These elements, combined with its elevated situation, create an impressive presence and make the Billimun Church one of the finer country churches within the area.
The heritage value of the property also lies in its status as the religious centre of the Billimun community. This community initially consisted largely of German speaking, Catholic colonists from the Russian Crimea who, in 1910, began settling the area. By the mid-1920s some 80 families had relocated from Russia to the Billimun area, making the first church that was erected in 1914 too small. Another church was constructed in 1926 but was lost to fire shortly after completion. Undaunted, the present church was raised the following year, making it the third church on the site. Located behind the church is a 1912 cemetery that predates all churches on the site and provides the final resting place for many Billimun pioneers. This property, plus the adjacent Billimun Community Centre, serve to commemorate the Billimun community.
Rural Municipality of Glen McPherson No. 46 Bylaw No. 83-2.
The heritage value of the Billimun Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-the prominent situation of the church on an elevated, isolated site;
-its original location on the site of two earlier churches, and its close proximity to the 1912 cemetery;
-features relating to its architecture, including its lofty, rectangular plan; steeply-pitched gable roof with open eaves and exposed rafters; triangular eave brackets; steeple with belfry and spire, embellished with a round window and topped with a metal cross; Gothic-arch windows and front entrance, transom light; and apse with small circular stained glass window;
-interior features, such as the balcony; austere, plastered walls and ceilings; v-joint clad foyer; fir finishing exhibited in the floors and mouldings; gold-finished Russian chandelier with ruby-red glass inset.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1927/01/01 to 1983/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 130
Cross-Reference to Collection