Strasbourg and District Museum
Canadian Pacific Railway Station
Links and documents
1906/01/01 to 1906/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Strasbourg and District Museum is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying a 3300-square metre lot located at 501 Railway Avenue in the Town of Strasbourg. The property features a two-storey, wood-frame railway station constructed in 1906.
The heritage value of the Strasbourg and District Museum resides in the building’s typical railway architecture. The building is located at mile 50.5 of the Lanigan Subdivision north of Regina and is classified as a Canadian Pacific Railway Standard No. 5 depot – Plan H-14-81. Typical of the standard design, the station waiting room, central office and freight shed were on the main floor, with living quarters upstairs for the station agent. The building’s functional interior design directly influences its exterior appearance to create an unmistakable railway style. This style is characterized by strategically placed doors to facilitate the movement of people and goods, windows located to monitor train arrivals and departures, and large overhanging eaves to protect travellers and their luggage from the elements. The building’s residential dormers on the second floor serve to differentiate this use from the commercial functions housed on the main floor. As an ensemble, these features and the long building footprint stretching the length of the original railway platform, combine to create an elegant combination of form, function and civic pride.
Heritage value also lies in the building's association with the economic and cultural life of Strasbourg and the surrounding area. The relatively large size of the station presented an image of success and prosperity that was an important recognition for a growing community in its efforts to attract business and investment. In the absence of other means of transporting grain, market goods and people over long distances, the station provided a primary business and social focal point, as well as, a vital link with the larger world. The station operated for sixty-four years until 1970.
Further heritage value resides in the building's continuing role as a museum and tourist attraction. In 1971, the Town of Strasbourg purchased the station and converted it into a museum. In 1972, Strasbourg’s museum curator and his family moved into the second floor quarters continuing the tradition of residency on the site. The museum was officially opened September 30, 1973 and continues to operate; the upstairs now houses the expanded museum collection.
Town of Strasbourg Bylaw No. 202/88.
The heritage value of the Strasbourg and District Museum resides in the following character-defining elements:
-features that reflect the typical railway architecture, such as the hip roof with large bracketed overhang and second-storey dormers; rectangular form, floor plan, and interior ceiling height reflective of the building’s original multiple functions; original interior features, including door and window hardware, hardwood flooring; original building envelope materials, including door/window trim, battens, wall shingles and board siding;
-elements that reflect its use as railway station, such as the original exterior windows and doors and their locations; original building footprint, including the projecting trackside ticket bay,
-the prominent location of the building.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Station or Other Rail Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 1214
Cross-Reference to Collection