Darois-Breau Founders' Site
Paul Street (extension), Dieppe, New Brunswick, E1A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Darois-Breau Founders’ Site is plaque marking the area where the first families in the region settled. The plaque is located on the dike near the bicycle trail southeast of the Paul Street extension in the City of Dieppe.
Darois-Breau Founders’ Site is designated a Local Historic Place because it recognizes the surrounding area that was settled by the founders of what would later become the city of Dieppe.
Jean Darois and his future brother-in-law, Sylvain Breau, founded a village in this area around 1732. Even after soldiers burned down the houses in 1755, most of the residents resisted expulsion of the Acadians before eventually leaving for Louisiana. Around 1774, Germain Thibodeau and Joseph Surette married the Babineau sisters and relocated to the area, helping to resettle what would become Village-d’en-Haut, precursor to the City of Dieppe. The plaque is located adjacent to the meadow and marsh that represents this first settlement. The nearby dike is evidence of the agriculture-based existence of these early settlers.
Source: City of Dieppe, file D13
The character-defining elements that describe Darois-Breau Founders’ Site include:
- plaque with interpretation panel;
- location of the plaque adjacent to the meadow, marsh and the dike.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1774/01/01 to 1774/01/01
1732/01/01 to 1755/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Food Supply
- Rural District or Area
- Historic or Interpretive Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Dieppe City Hall - Historic Places file D13
Cross-Reference to Collection