Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Hughes-Games House is a two-storey, stucco-finished residence, built in 1939 in the Moderne style at 2094 Abbott Street. The house is located within the Abbott Street Heritage Conservation Area in Kelowna's South Central neighbourhood.
The Hughes-Games House is valued for its association with its original owner, for its rare and attractive Moderne architectural style, and for having been moved as part of a controversial scheme to conserve the house while densifying the property.
Historical value lies in this having been the home of war veteran, businessman, and several-term mayor of Kelowna, William B. Hughes-Games. He emigrated to Vancouver from England in 1911. After service in the Seaforth Highlanders in World War I, Hughes-Games arrived in Kelowna in 1926 and immediately became active in the community. He served as secretary of the Kelowna Hospital Board from 1927 to 1937, Mayor of Kelowna from 1947 to 1951, and chairman of the Okanagan Regional Library Board from 1951 to 1956. His term as mayor saw the building of the Civic Centre, City Hall, and extensive sewer construction and road paving.
Hughes-Games bought into the hardware business of Thomas Lawson Ltd. in 1936, and, after it was reorganized as George A. Meikle Ltd. in 1937, was its secretary-treasurer.
The house, built in 1939 for Hughes-Games and his wife Margaret, by well-known local builders Dore and Ryan, has value for its Moderne architectural style, an uncommon style in Kelowna. The features of the style include its flat roof, horizontal bands, and stucco finish. Hughes-Games lived here during his mayoral years and until the early 1950s. During the 1950s and 1960s the house was occupied by tobacconist C. Burnaby Feedham, who operated a shop on Bernard Avenue, and his wife, W. Audrey Feedham.
The building also has value for demonstrating the value that Kelowna places on its architectural heritage, as it was conserved as part of a subdivision and building relocation scheme in 2003. The Hughes-Game House has been moved closer to the street and placed on a new foundation, providing space for an approved subdivision that created a new waterfront lot, while maintaining a strong visual presence for the historic house on the Abbott Street frontage.
Source: City of Kelowna, Planning Department, File No. 6800-02
The character-defining elements of the Hughes-Games House include its:
- Moderne style design, which is rare in Kelowna, characterized by features that include the flat roof, the simple wall planes, the coloured horizontal bands, and the stucco finish
- Asymmetrical composition, including a one-storey wing that protrudes from the two-storey main block on the west (rear) side
- Prominent, simple wall planes
- Stucco finish, off-white in colour, on all elevations
- Projecting continuous double horizontal decorative band, colored black, on both floors
- Narrow, continuous porch on the second level, with parapet and metal railings
- Large chimney at the centre rear of the house
- 45-degree-angle recessed entrance facing two streets
- Many mature trees and shrubs in the large yard
- Orientation of the house, which has retained when the house was moved closer to Abbott Street
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Dore and Ryan
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Kelowna, Planning Department, File No. 6800-02
Cross-Reference to Collection