Postal Station A
Links and documents
1913/01/01 to 1915/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Postal Station “A” is part of the streetscape in downtown Saint John. It is a formal, four storey structure with a classical sandstone façade featuring a prominent cornice and columns within a seven-bay front. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Postal Station “A” is a recognized federal heritage building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
Postal Station “A” is associated with the expansion and consolidation of federal services throughout Canada through the construction of purpose-built office structures. The federal government reinforced its presence in the community by the erection of this large formal stone building.
The design and form of Postal Station “A” in Saint John is executed in the Beaux-Arts style with classically inspired details. The building’s exterior displays an attractive façade that enhances the Prince William streetscape. The façade and public front lobby are intended to be impressive and its formal design displays a high degree of craftsmanship.
Postal Station “A” is compatible with the present central business district. Prominently sited in the downtown core close to the harbour, it is a conspicuous and familiar landmark within both the community and the region.
Source: C. A. Hale, Postal Station A, 126-40 Prince William Street, Saint John, New Brunswick; Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 83-059.
The character-defining elements of the Postal Station “A” should be respected.
Its Beaux-Arts style and good quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
- the formal massing and four-storey form with its flat roof and formal symmetry;
- the formal sandstone tripartite façade with a slightly recessed central section flanked by pavilions and surmounted by a prominent decorated cornice;
- the ionic columns separating the window openings on the seven-bay front;
- the arched openings and rustication on the ground floor;
- the formal interior lobby with its marble dado and remaining interior fittings.
The manner in which the Postal Station “A” is compatible with the commercial centre of Saint John and is a prominent local landmark as evidenced by:
- its scale and detailing compatible with the present character of the town and the traditional local architecture;
- its prominent downtown location facing the harbour, and its role as a post office that increases its profile within the both community and the region.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Post Office
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate Documentation Centre 3rd Floor, room 366 30 Victoria Street Gatineau, Québec J8X 0B3
Cross-Reference to Collection
Postal Station A Annex
Constructed in 1952, Postal Station “A” Annex is located in the central business district of Saint John, and consists of a modern, five-storey rectangular, red brick and concrete…