18 Union St., St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Frink House is a single storey Cape Cod residence located on Union Street in St. Stephen.
Frink House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and the association with its former occupants.
Frink House is recognized for its architecture. Built in circa 1800, it is a good example of Cape Cod residential architecture. It exhibits traditional elements of this style such as a five bay plan, overall symmetry and flush gable roof.
Frink house is also recognized for its association with former occupants. The first occupant was James Frink, son of Captain Nathan Frink who came with the Loyalists to St. Stephen in 1783. Celebrated St. Stephen cabinetmaker John Warren Moore and his wife, Mary Louisa Moore, lived in the house from 1833-1836. In 1897, John D. McMillan, a marble trader, became the next owner and the family occupied the house for 48 years. The present owner has retained the original style of the house.
Source: Town Hall of St Stephen, Historic Places file "Frink House"
The character-defining elements that describe Frink House include:
- overall symmetry;
- single storey rectangular massing;
- 5 bay plan;
- flush gable roof;
- central entrance with pediment and wide entrance door with brass knocker;
- symmetrical fenestration of double hung sash windows;
- wooden shingled exterior walls.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1833/01/01 to 1836/01/01
1897/01/01 to 1897/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file.
Cross-Reference to Collection