Belliveau Village Wharf
Belliveau Wharf Road, Memramcook, New Brunswick, E4H, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Belliveau Village Wharf consists of a wooden wharf located on the east bank of the Petitcodiac River in the Belliveau Village region of Memramcook.
Belliveau Village Wharf is designated a Local Historic Place in recognition of the important role of the Petitcodiac River in the region’s history.
Belliveau Village Wharf is an example of the many wooden wharves built on the Petitcodiac River in the past. It was used to load and unload people and goods at a time when the Petitcodiac River was a major waterway. The shipping trade along this river eventually came to an end, and the Belliveau Village Wharf is one of the few such wharves that still survive today. The entire wooden structure of the wharf remains intact. It was built in 1888 under contract with the Department of Public Works to replace a wharf which was destroyed in 1869 at the same location. The construction of this new wharf represented an acknowledgment by the government that Belliveau Village and vicinity were becoming thriving settlements.
Source: Village of Memramcook - Site File - Quai de Belliveau-Village
The character-defining elements that describe Belliveau Village Wharf include:
- original location on the east bank of the Petitcodiac River;
- original dimensions of 38 metres long x 7.6 metres wide;
- plank decking;
- rock bed on which the wharf rests;
- tree-trunk posts.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Landing Point
Architect / Designer
Government of Canada
Location of Supporting Documentation
Village of Memramcook Municipal Building
Cross-Reference to Collection