Patrick Street, St. Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Indian Point Lighthouse
Phare Indian Point
St. Andrews Lighthouse
Phare St. Andrews
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Pendlebury Lighthouse is an octagonal, wooden lighthouse located on Patrick Street, 13 meters above high water on the northeast side of the St. Andrews harbour.
Pendlebury Lighthouse is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the family that operated it for nearly 100 years.
Pendlebury Lighthouse is recognized for its style of construction, for providing guidance to vessels entering St. Andrews harbour for 105 years and for its continued use as a community landmark. It was built in 1833 on Indian Point next to a busy wharf on the northeast side of the harbour. It is the oldest lighthouse on the mainland of New Brunswick, and third oldest in the province. The lighthouse, one of eight octagonal lighthouses in New Brunswick, stands 13 meters above the high water mark. The original light had 4 lamps and reflectors and was illuminated with oil. A unique feature of the lantern room is the dozen small panes of glass that make up each of its eight windows.
Pendlebury Lighthouse is also recognized for its association with the family that operated it from the 1840's until 1938. John Pendlebury came from England to serve at the Machias Seal Island lighthouse keeper but was later transferred to St. Andrews. He served as the keeper until his death in 1853. His son, George, then operated the lighthouse. The last lightkeeper was Miss Emma Pendlebury, who tended it until the closing of the lighthouse in 1938. Used until WWll by the local yacht club, the light has stood only as a landmark for the past 60 years. The light now sits only a few metres from its original site.
Source: St. Andrews Civic Trust - Charlotte County Archives
The character-defining elements that describe Pendlebury Lighthouse include:
- oldest lighthouse on mainland New Brunswick;
- wood construction in octagonal shape;
- wood shingle cladding;
- sight lines over St. Andrews Harbour, within meters of its original site;
- lantern rooms with dozens of small panes of glass that make up each of the eight windows;
- continued landmark status in the community.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1840/01/01 to 1938/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Historic or Interpretive Site
- Navigational Aid or Lighthouse
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, 123 Frederick Street, St. Andrews, NB
Cross-Reference to Collection