Home / Accueil

Caraquet Convent

Saint-Pierre-Ouest Boulevard, Caraquet, New Brunswick, E1W, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/11/01

The vestiges of the convent - photo taken in 2006.; Fidèle Thériault
Caraquet Convent
The convent with additions to the east and west of the original building. This photo was taken in 1974 on the occasion of its centennial celebrations.; Fidèle Thériault
Caraquet Convent
The convent after its construction. Photo taken circa 1880.; Fidèle Thériault Collection
Caraquet Convent

Other Name(s)

Caraquet Convent
Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame Convent
Couvent des soeurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/08/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Caraquet Convent consists of visible ruins of a 2 and 3-storey stone building located along Saint-Pierre-Ouest Boulevard, near the Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens church, in Caraquet. The grounds include a statue of the Virgin Mary.

Heritage Value

Caraquet Convent is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the educational and religious history of Caraquet.

The ruins, statue of the Virgin Mary and grounds of Caraquet Convent represent the importance and growth of religion and education in Caraquet. Construction of the building began in 1870 under Reverend Joseph Pelletier. It opened its doors for the education of young girls in 1874, under the direction of the Congregation of Sisters of the Notre-Dame. A three-storey expansion made of dressed stone was added in 1905 and was the work of noted Acadian architect Nazaire Dugas of Caraquet. A second wing, made of wood and consisting of two storeys, was built on the east side in 1947. The convent stopped teaching in the 1970s, and part of the building was used for community projects. In 1982, the newspaper L'Acadie Nouvelle opened its first offices there. Fire destroyed the building in 1995. The ruins of the central part of the convent are of particular heritage value because the façade’s sawn stone is from the construction of the first stone church in Caraquet, which was built in 1817 and was located to the east of the convent.

Source: Caraquet City Hall, Historic Places files “Couvent de Caraquet”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the ruins of Caraquet Convent include:
- context of the ruins on the original grounds;
- sawn stone of the façade;
- fieldstone of the rear section of the building;
- dressed stone of the eastern and western sections;
- two storeys of the western section;
- one storey of the eastern section;
- openings for the windows and the central door;
- statue of the Virgin Mary in front of the convent.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1874/01/01 to 1874/01/01
1982/01/01 to 1982/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Learning and the Arts
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Undetermined (archaeological site)
Exposed Site


Composite School

Architect / Designer

Nazaire Dugas



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Caraquet City Hall, 10 Colisée St., Caraquet, NB.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places