567, Church Street, City of Windsor, Ontario, N9A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Revell-D'Avignon House is a large two and one-half storey, clapboard Queen Anne Revival style dwelling. Located in a central Windsor area marked by the quality of its residential development of the late 19th century, it is recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor By-law 12085, 1995.
The Revell-D'Avignon House is a charming and well-preserved example of a Queen Anne Revival style dwelling. Built circa 1895, it is representative of the quality of housing which once lined the streets in this central Windsor neighbourhood, which is now a mix of apartments and relatively modest residences. Built with clapboard siding on a brick foundation, it features extensive wood architectural detailing, a three-sided bay across the entire front facade with ornamental panels between the windows, and fish scale shingles.
The building is associated with the Revell and D'Avignon families. Originally built as the home of Daniel Revell, a conductor on the Great Western Railway and the Wabash Railway. Mr Revell was involved in one of Canada's worst railway disasters when in 1880, his train broke through a bridge at St. George in Brant County. The house was later owned by his daughter, wife of J. Eugene D'Avignon, Sheriff of Essex County (1908-1917), and subsequently by their daughter Helen E. D'Avignon, until 1948. The latter served briefly as sheriff after her father's death and was a founder of the Windsor Girl Guides Association.
Sources: City of Windsor By-law 12085, 1995, and Building Analysis Form, July 1994.
Key character defining elements that define the building's heritage value include its:
- asymmetrical 2-1/2 storey design
- wood clapboard on common bond brick foundation
- three-sided bay projection on the front facade with ornamental panels between windows
- fish scale shingles
- decorative wood brackets and crown moulding on flat-roofed front porch
- gable-style main roof with small overhang
- gingerbread trim on gable
- double hung windows with wood sill and trim
- attic window with 15 square panes (quarrels)
- double front doors with windows.
- location on Church Street in a central Windsor area marked by residential development of the late 19th century
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection