Description of Historic Place
The Dr. Roy J. Coyle house, located at 2077 Willistead Crescent, was built in 1937. The two-and-a-half-storey Tudor Revival-style residence sits on the south side of Willistead Crescent in the former Town of Walkerville, now east Windsor.
The house is recognized for its heritage value by City of Windsor By-law 152-2003.
The Dr. Roy J. Coyle House was built shortly after the amalgamation of Walkerville and Windsor in 1935. It sits among some of the finest residential homes built in Walkerville during the second phase of development, when residential development was spreading southward from the core of Walkerville. Lots in this area were sold only to those who could build homes of at least 3500 square feet, which guaranteed an upscale neighbourhood. The Dr. Roy J. Coyle House is located within the former Town of Walkerville's most prestigious residential neighbourhood and remains a testament to the quality and grandeur of the homes that housed both Walkerville's, and later Windsor's, most prominent and influential citizens.
The Dr. Roy J. Coyle house exemplifies the fine homes being erected for prominent Windsor citizens during the 1930s. Of note is that this property remained in the hands of the original owners for over fifty years. It is named after Dr. Roy J. Coyle, a prominent Windsor citizen who had the house built for his family in 1937. Dr. Coyle practiced medicine in Windsor for thirty years until his death in 1954 at the age of 55. Throughout his career, Dr. Coyle was considered one of the most prominent eye, ear, nose and throat specialists in Ontario. He was the Chief of Staff of the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Department at Hotel-Dieu Hospital in Windsor for over twenty-five years. Dr. Coyle was also a member of the Canadian Medical Association, the Holy Name Society of St. Anne's Church and Windsor Council No. 1453 of the Knights of Columbus.
Dr. Coyle's widow, Dorothy, continued to live in the home after his death until 1987. Mrs. Coyle was also a notable personality. She was the first woman to serve on the Metropolitan Hospital Board of Governors (in Windsor) as a representative of the Ladies Aide, and was a member of a number of other associations in the community.
The Dr. Roy J. Coyle House is an excellent example of a stately Tudor Revival style home. It was designed by architect John H. Drury, and built by George Lawton of Lawton Bilt Homes. Many of the original features of the house are still evident, including its ornamental half-timbering embedded in the brickwork, making the Dr. Roy J. Coyle house a premier and well-preserved example of Tudor Revival style architecture.
Sources: Building Analysis Form, December 3, 2002; Designation Report, November 28, 2002.
Character defining elements that express the building's heritage value include its:
- two-and-a-half-storey Tudor Revival design
- asymmetrical massing
- half-timbering embedded in brickwork
- cast-stone entranceway and dripstone
- ornamental brick nogging and moulded brackets
- prominent gabled ells
- expansive windows with panes
- interior features of gumwood woodwork
- oak flooring
- carved gumwood balustrade stairwell to second floor
- original light fixtures in foyer, rear stairwell, and servant's quarters