534 Kildare Road
534, Kildare Road, City of Windsor, Ontario, N8Y, Canada
534 Kildare Road
Unit 534 The Quadruplex
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
534 Kildare Road is the south-middle unit in the four-plex commonly known as the "Quadruplex." It is situated on the east side of Kildare Road, north of Wyandotte Street, in the heart of the former Town of Walkerville (a company town founded by distiller Hiram Walker in 1858) now part of central Windsor. The well-preserved two-and-a-half-storey red brick building was constructed for Hiram Walker in 1888 to house employees of his distillery, located some three blocks to the northeast.
The heritage value of 534 The Quadruplex is recognized by City of Windsor Bylaw 207-2007.
The Quadruplex, built in 1888, is an important and well-preserved example of the worker housing that Hiram Walker was having built during the formative years of his company town. Early tenants were members of the Chater family, one of Walkerville's founding families. By the 1930s the units were being rented to other than Hiram Walker and Sons employees, and in 1955, Unit 534 was sold.
The two-and-a-half-storey red brick (common bond) quadruplex is a very important remnant of the early Walkerville streetscape. The Detroit architectural firm of Mason and Rice likely designed it, as they were the architects of choice of the Walker family during this era. The style can be described as Picturesque Arts and Crafts.
Detroit distiller Hiram Walker founded the former Town of Walkerville in 1858. By the late 1880s the Walkers were developing rental properties for the distillery's employees at all levels. The quadruplex (as well as the companion building to the south, which was demolished in 1922) is one of his earliest projects and pre-dates the formal incorporation in 1890 of his real estate development wing, the "Walkerville Land and Building Co.". The building is located in the heart of early Walkerville, some three blocks southwest of the distillery.
Sources: Building Analysis Form, March 2006; Designation Report, February 1, 2006
Character defining elements that add to the heritage value of The Quadruplex include its:
- two-and-a-half-storey structure on cut stone foundation
- lateral gable roof with wooden brackets
- shared recessed arched entranceway and wooden entrance stairway leading to the wooden porch and wooden door
- arched lancet window with stone cross bar, stone sill and arched brick voussoirs, also shared
- one original window of the attic on the rear facade
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Mason and Rice
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of the Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection