986, Ouellette Avenue, City of Windsor, Ontario, N9A, Canada
Links and documents
1921/01/01 to 1922/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Masonic Temple is a large, three-storey, red brick Neo-Classical Revival style building with contrasting limestone trim. Completed in 1922 and located on Windsor's main street (Ouellette Avenue) in the city core.
It has been recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor By-law 11786, 1994.
Prominently sited at a major intersection (Ouellette Avenue and Erie Street) in the city core, the building's imposing proportions; generous setback and longevity of operations have given it local landmark status.
The Masonic Temple represents a long history of the Masonic Order in the Windsor-Detroit area dating back to 1794, and it exemplifies the continuing role of fraternal societies in the cultural and social life of Windsor. Numerous members of the lodge have held influential positions in the Windsor area.
The Masonic Temple was designed by James Carlisle Pennington, a highly regarded local architect. Constructed in 1921-22, it was the first permanent facility for the Masonic Fraternity of the Border Cities. It still functions as a meeting place for Freemasons, as well as hosting banquets, weddings and concerts.
Designed by Pennington and built by Muxlow and Gale Construction Company, this fine Neo-Classical Revival style building displays characteristic rhythmical symmetry and classical elements intended to suggest antiquity and permanence. The main façade features eight fluted stone pilasters with simple capitals. Topped with decorative stone roundels, the columns rise two storeys above the ground floor. Ashlar stone veneer covers most of the first floor on the front façade. The three wooden front doors are adorned with triangular stone pediments, and stone belt courses divide the building into three distinct horizontal compartments. The fenestration is restrained, with emphasis on the second floor round-headed windows, which feature keystones and radiating brick voussoirs around ornamental semi-circular panels.
Sources: City of Windsor By-law 11786, 1994; Building Analysis Form, June 22, 1993; and City of Windsor Heritage Planner's files.
Character defining elements that express the heritage value include its:
- three storey symmetrical design in contrasting dark red brick (set in ornamental pattern) and stone materials
- eight fluted two-storey stone pilasters on the main façades with simple capitals
- decorative stone roundels above the pilasters
- three central wooden front doors surmounted by triangular stone pediments with classical egg-and-dart moulding
- seven second-floor round-headed windows on the front façade, with keystones and radiating brick voussoirs around ornamental semi-circular panels
- stone belt courses between the first and second floors, the third floor and attic, and the attic and parapet
- incised key pattern on the first belt course
- solid, symmetrical design and large size
- contrasting dark red brick and stone materials
- prominent siting in the city core with a landscaped setback on Ouellette Avenue.
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
Architect / Designer
James Carlisle Pennington
Muxlow and Gale Construction Company
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection