74, Wellington Street, Aurora, Ontario, L4G, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This two-and-one-half-storey yellow brick 19th century residence is located on the south side of Wellington Street East. It is a significant landmark along one of Aurora's main arterial roads, with its deep lot and substantial size.
The Morrison House has been recognized for its heritage value by the Town of Aurora By-law #3064-89.
The Morrison House is the most substantial single residence on Wellington Street East, one of the main east-west roads in Aurora. Its lot size has remained unaffected by 20th century subdivision, and it's deeply recessed position on the lot relative to the streetscape makes it a distinctive presence on Wellington Street.
The first two owners of the Morrison House were both prominent Aurora citizens. George Worthington Morrison, a carriage-maker by trade, worked for the Fleury Agricultural Implement Works, which was early Aurora's most important industries. Morrison was also civic-minded, serving on Town Council, supporting the local fire brigade, and an active member of the Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge. Morrison built this home on Wellington Street East in 1886 and resided there until it was sold to Jesse Walton in 1919.
Jesse Walton was a well-known local businessman, who established his own private bank, and later a real estate, insurance and investment business. Like Morrison, he was a civic leader, serving as Treasurer of King Township, twice Mayor of Aurora (1923-28, 1939-40), Justice of the Peace, and held various Liberal offices for the North York Liberal Association. Walton was a direct descendant of a group of United Empire Loyalists who settled in the area in 1825. The Walton family were Quakers, and Jesse Walton was a committed believer in the Temperance movement. He travelled extensively throughout Canada and England lecturing as the Grand Scribe of the Sons of Temperance. Walton was also a historian and prolific writer on the history of York County; much of his collection was acquired by the Aurora Historical Society some years after his death in 1945.
The Morrison House is an excellent example of a substantial 19th century residence, built with the influences of the Italianate and Gothic Revival styles. The Italianate styling is indicated by the symmetrical square plan with two storey projecting bays on either side of the main entrance, and the fenestration pattern of double or triple windows. Gothic Revival details can be seen in the steeply pitched roof with front gables, and in the gable ends.
Sources: Heritage Designation Report: Morrison House, Town of Aurora By-Law #3064-89.
Character defining elements include its:
- two-and-one-half-storey symmetrical square form
- yellow brick veneer
- cedar-shingled gable roof
- gabled bays on the front facade
- tie and beam (quatrefoil motifs) in the gables
- original fenestration, including paired and triple windows, and eyebrow windows
- restored shutters
- open entrance porch, including decorative wood fretwork
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Designation Report: The Morrison House, By-law #3064-89, Clerk's Office, Town of Aurora
Cross-Reference to Collection