518, King Street, Port Colborne, Ontario, L3K, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Ott House is a charming two-storey brick structure of Gothic Revival which was built circa 1885. Rounded windows with shutters, front gables with simply decorated bargeboard and a segmented open porch with a pediment make this house, located on 518 King Street, one of a kind in its surrounding residential area.
The property was designated for its heritage value by the City of Port Colborne under By-law No. 1389/82/83.
Originally granted to John Neave, who moved from Pennsylvania in the early 1790s, the property saw a succession of locally prominent owners until it was deeded in 1887 to Frederick Joseph Quinn, "a gentleman", who is believed to have commissioned the building's construction. Canada census data from 1881-1891 indicates that the construction of the building took place during a period of quick growth in Port Colborne's history. The house is one of the earliest brick structures in Port Colborne. It is named for Mr. Herman H. Ott, a member of Council for the Village of Humberstone, who owned and occupied the house from the 1920's and retained it for approximately 30 years. Under Mr. Ott's ownership, the building was restored.
The building's design is a successful integration of different architectural styles through good proportioning, scale and use of materials, while still reflecting local builder tastes. The dominant influence of Gothic Revival is revealed by the house's irregular massing, gingerbread vergeboard and exaggerated roof pitches. The round-headed upper storey windows reflect the Italianate style, while Georgian character is exhibited by the main entrance with its half-circle transom, slightly recessed architrave and moulded wood surround. The mixture of architectural styles and the sheer size of the brick house contribute to the commanding and elegant presence of this late 19th century structure within the streetscape.
Source: 518 King Street Record of Designation, Planning and Development Services, City of Port Colborne, 1993.
Character defining elements that embody the heritage value of the property include its:
- use of brick in its construction
- rear addition rebuilt in 1920 using the original brick
- irregular massing
- exaggerated roof pitches, characteristic of Gothic Revival
- gingerbread trim on the gable eaves
- Italianate round-headed upper storey windows
- main entrance with its half-circle transom, slightly recessed architrave and moulded wood surround
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
518 King Street File, Planning and Development Services Department, City of Port Colborne, L3K 3C8
Cross-Reference to Collection