Allen Wetmore Residence
175 Canterbury Street, Saint John, New Brunswick, E2L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Allen Wetmore Residence is a two-storey, wood, Queen Anne residence featuring a two-storey bay window with an octagonal roof and an off-centred entrance. This residence is located on Canterbury Street in the Trinity Royal Heritage Preservation Area in Saint John.
The Allen Wetmore Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with Allen Wetmore.
The Allen Wetmore Residence is recognized for its architecture as it reflects the re-building phase after the Great Saint John Fire of 1877 razed most of the buildings in the City of Saint John. The southern end of Canterbury Street was not rebuilt until the late 1890's and early 1900's. This residence is a good example of Queen Anne residential architecture from the early 20th century. The asymmetry of the residence, the tower and the use of horizontal elements to break up the verticality of the front façade all reflect this style.
The Allen Wetmore Residence is also recognized for its association with Allen Hudson Wetmore, for whom this residence what built in 1910. Mr. Wetmore influenced the City of Saint John through his many high-ranking positions within various prominent companies. After working in Toronto, Mr. Wetmore returned to Saint John in 1904 and was initially the manager of Saint John's branch of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. He became office manager of the firm of Puddington, Wetmore, and Morrison, Ltd., in 1909. He managed both companies until 1920. That year, he organized and became the managing director of Canada Spice and Specialty Mills Ltd., manufacturers of high grade food products. He held this position until his retirement in 1931. He served as president of the Saint John Real Estate Company, vice-president of Puddington and Cole Ltd., a director of Fernhill Cemetery, and member of the Saint John Board of Trade for twenty-five years. He also served the community as the former director of the YMCA and Honorary Treasurer of the New Brunswick Museum since its establishment. When the Saint John Town Planning Commission was formed, he became its secretary, a position he held for five years. He was later chairman for two years and was made an honorary member. Wetmore remained at this residence until his death in 1948.
Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John
The character defining elements that describe the Queen Anne architecture of the Allen Wetmore Residence include:
- two-storey asymmetrical massing;
- vertical sliding wood windows;
- two storey bay window with hexagonal tower roof ;
- large horizontal cornice separating the first and second storeys;
- diamond shaped window;
- square window with lozenge patterned transom;
- small Doric pilasters flanking the windows;
- gable roof with returned eaves;
- clapboard siding;
- wood paneled door with sidelights and transom window;
- Doric columns supporting the porch entablature;
- square single-storey bay window at the southeast corner of the building, set at an angle.
Local Governments (NB)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John
Cross-Reference to Collection