Home / Accueil


322, King Street, Port Colborne, Ontario, L3K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/01/26

Ingleside Bed and Breakfast; City of Port Colborne
Wrought iron fence erected by Jonathan Neff at the time of Ingleside's construction.; Photograph by Callie Hemsworth, 2007.
No Image

Other Name(s)

The Carter House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/07/08

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Built in 1867 for Charles H. Carter, Ingleside (also known as the Carter House) was the Carter family home for 118 years. Its solid massing, brick construction, Georgian and Italianate architectural style, and rare locally-produced wrought iron railing, contributed to making Ingleside Port Colborne's most significant brick building.

Ingleside was recognized for its heritage value by the City of Port Colborne in 1987, By-law number 1896/15/87.

Heritage Value

Ingleside, with its period setting and landscaping, is reminiscent of the Village of Port Colborne in the late 1800's when it was newly incorporated. It is prominently located on King Street, an area with a number of buildings that have contributed to the development of Port Colborne and are strongly linked to the Welland Canal. Photographs from the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum dating from the 1880's show the Carter house after being hit by rocks from an explosion that occurred when digging the channel for the Third Canal. It is within walking distance to other prominent buildings and structures in the city, such as the Welland Canal, the Museum, and the Port Colborne Public Library.

Ingleside's historical value lies in its association with the Carters, a family that has made significant contributions to the social and political development of Port Colborne. Ingleside, or “The Carter House”, was occupied by the Carter family for 118 years. Charles H. Carter came to Canada from New Jersey in 1834 at the age of three years; in 1838, he established a successful towing business on the Welland Canal. He was a member of the Village of Port Colborne's first council in 1870 and is believed to have commissioned the building of this magnificent brick residence around 1867 by Mr. Landgroft. Miranda, Charles' wife, was a descendent of the Steele family, who were United Empire Loyalists, who came to the Township of Humberstone in 1790. Her grandfather, Solomon Steele, fought alongside Sir Isaac Brock at the battles of Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane.

Ingleside was home for several Carter children including DeWitt Carter, the Town of Port Colborne's first mayor after its incorporation in 1918. DeWitt Carter was an enthusiastic supporter of Port Colborne and a mariner with an enduring interest in the Welland Canal. He was described as a man “with a winning personality” and “a citizen of whom Port Colborne is justly proud.” Carter was the author of “The History of the Welland Canal” and contributed to other historical books on the Niagara Peninsula. Today, Ingleside continues to play a vital role in the community as the first bed and breakfast in Port Colborne, offering guests a glimpse into the building's vibrant past.

Widely known as Port Colborne's most significant residential brick building, Ingleside has a Georgian architectural style with Italianate features. A five-bay façade with a centrally located doorway and Georgian windows are accented by the projecting frontispiece, brick corner quoins and paired brackets under a dominant cornice. The rectangular plan with hip roof indicates that it is a version of a house plan popularized by the magazine “The Canada Farmer” in 1865. Still standing in the side yard are the original ice house and smoke house. The rear yard houses the coach house and wood storage shed reflective of life in the 19th century. The property is marked off by a locally produced wrought-iron railing believed to have been erected by Jonathan Neff of Stonebridge at the same time the house was constructed. This fence is believed to be one of the last remaining of its kind in Ontario. The property's landscaping and setting give a view of the building at its prime and present Ingleside as Port Colborne's most carefully displayed and preserved historical structure.

Sources: Ingleside Planning Department Report No. 86-63, Planning and Development Services, City of Port Colborne, 1986; "Historical landmark is in the process of restoration", Ruby Conway, Guardian Express, May 4, 1988; "A guided tour through Ingleside" Marnie Lockyer, Guardian Express, Aug 31, 1988.

Character-Defining Elements

Key character defining elements of Ingleside that embody its heritage value include its:
- rear yard coach house and wood storage shed
- original ice house
- smoke house
- five-bay balanced façade
- centrally located doorway
- low hip roof
- eyebrow windows
- projecting frontispiece
- projecting eaves supported by paired brackets and corner quoins
- original wrought iron fence
- proximity to other heritage buildings on King Street
- location within walking distance to Welland Canal
- period setting and landscaping that is reminiscent of the Village of Port Colborne in the late 1800's




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Hotel, Motel or Inn


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



Mr. Landgroft

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Planning and Development Services, 66 Charlotte Street, City of Port Colborne, L3K 3C8.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places