Home / Accueil

Doran-Marshall Residence

4851, River Road, Niagara Falls, Ontario, L2E, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1986/03/24

Doran-Marshall Residence in Queen Anne style, overlooking the Niagara River.; City of Niagara Falls
Doran-Marshall Residence
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Doran-Marshall Residence
Park Place Bed and Breakfast

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/07/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Doran-Marshall Residence is a stunning two-storey cream coloured brick residence with accompanying coach house. It is an excellent example of a Queen Anne Revival Style in Niagara Falls and was built in 1886 by prominent businessman W.L. Doran. It is situated on the corner of River and Ellis Street overlooking the scenic Niagara River.

The Doran-Marshall Residence has been recognized for its heritage value under By-law 86-65.

Heritage Value

The Doran-Marshall Residence holds a distinguished location on River Street, overlooking the Niagara River. A number of other residences that have been recognized for their heritage value can be found along this street creating a beautiful landscape and reflecting the owners prestige and status. The Doran-Marshall Residences' elegant setting provided an admired environment for the numerous formal balls and parties that contributed to the social development of Niagara Falls. The house is in close proximity to the first electricity plant, which is connected to W.L. Doran through his early investment in the operation.

The house is connected to the early social and economic activity in Niagara Falls. It was built in 1886 by William Lowry Doran, a well-known businessman, who, along with his brother Charles, owned the Dominion Suspender Company, one of the city's earliest manufacturing industries located in the downtown area. W.L. Doran was an early investor in the first electricity plant (Niagara Falls Electric Light and Power Company) and was one of the original applicants to form the Niagara Falls Board of Trade in 1889. The second owner was John W. Marshall, a well-known educator and Senior Inspector of Public Schools. His contribution to the community was recognized by the naming of a public school in his honour. The Doran-Marshall Residence served as an unofficial social club and was the scene of formal balls and wild parties. The adjacent coach house, which has space for a coachman's quarters, alludes to the opulent lifestyle of the owners in a former era.

This large residence resembles a Queen Anne Revival style building. Constructed of a fine, cream-coloured brick, the two-storey house boasts a sweeping curved verandah with a moulded frieze and Doric columns. The rounded corner tower is distinct and contributes to the uniqueness of the structure. The multi-gabled roof with built-in cornice gutter is decorated with scalloped wood shingles, dentil moulding and acorn drops under the eaves. A number of window styles have been used, including stained glass transoms, diamond cross patterns, and multiple square panes.

The two-storey coach house located at the rear of the property has similar features that are associated with the main residence, such as the cream coloured brick and decorative wood shingles.

Sources: “Historic Houses and Buildings: Doran/Marshall Residence and Coach House”; “Doran-Marshall Residence”, Planning and Development, City of Niagara Falls.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value include its:
- prominent location along the river
- location among other heritage properties on the street which contributes to the prestige and status of the neighbourhood
- it siting on the lot and its position relevant to the adjacent two-storey coach house which alludes to the opulent lifestyle of the owners in the former era
- fine cream-coloured brick, considered to be softer than Victorian materials
- sweeping curved verandah
- Doric columns
- round corner tower
- multi-gabled roof with built in cornice gutter
- adorned scalloped shingles with dentils, brackets and acorn drops under the eaves
- two-storey coach house with features consistent with the house
- orientation on a spacious corner lot with multiple entrances enhancing the social activities




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Sports and Leisure

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Hotel, Motel or Inn


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



William Lowry Doran

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Planning and Development 4310 Queen Street City of Niagara Falls L2E 6X5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places