Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Displaying an appealing contrast of white stucco with black shutters and trim, Mitchell Cottage stands as a reminder of the earliest settlement in the former Township of Stamford, now part of Niagara Falls. Situated on St. Patrick Avenue, its exterior reveals evidence of mid-nineteenth century detail, including Classical Revival eave returns on the gables and a “Georgian Wilderness” door.
The dwelling is recognized for its heritage value under the City of Niagara Falls By-law 7823.
Mitchell Cottage is located in close proximity to other historic properties along St. Patrick Avenue. Many of these cottage-like properties, in the former Township of Stamford, were offered to early settlers by the Stamford Presbyterian Church, such as Russell Cottage, which has also been designated as a heritage property.
This modest dwelling, Mitchell Cottage, can be traced to the earliest settlement of the former Township of Stamford. The original 1805 cabin was built on Crown Land granted to the Stamford Presbyterian Church, although much of its 1840's appearance is attributed to John Hawkins, who retained ownership of the cottage between 1837 and 1853. The Presbyterian Church played a crucial role in assisting early settlers in the Stamford area, contributing to the development of what is now known as Niagara Falls. The cottage is also known as Stamford Cottage, indicating its historic ties to the Township of Stamford.
The house reflects mid-nineteenth century detail. Unified with a coat of stucco, the house has a refined central door casing on the front façade, characteristic of the 1840's, featuring a highly detailed architrave, sidelights, simple pilasters and an eight panel door. The door is described as being of the “Georgian Wilderness” type, while the eave returns on the gable ends are associated with the Classical Revival style.
Source: Mitchell Cottage Heritage File, Planning and Development, City of Niagara Falls, 1996.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of Mitchell Cottage include its:
- siting in one of the earliest settlements of the former Township of Stamford, now part of Niagara Falls
- location on St. Patrick St. on land originally provided by the trustees of the Stamford Presbyterian Church, who were holders of the Crown Land grant
- proximity to other heritage properties of a similar nature which contributes to the cohesiveness of the neighbourhood
- 1840's detail, including a refined central door casing on the front façade with a highly-detailed architrave, sidelights, pilasters and eight panel door
- eave returns on the gable ends associated with Classical Revival style
- “Georgian Wilderness” door
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1837/01/01 to 1853/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Niagara Falls
Planning and Development Dept
4310 Queen St.
Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6X5
Cross-Reference to Collection