Home / Accueil

Miminegash United Church

10710 Route 14, St. Lawrence, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/06/12

Showing front and south elevations; Province of PEI, Charlotte Stewart, 2007
Showing front and south elevations
Showing front entrance vestibule; Province of PEI, Charlotte Stewart, 2007
Showing front entrance vestibule
Showing detail of Gothic window; Province of PEI, Charlotte Stewart, 2007
Showing detail of Gothic window

Other Name(s)

Miminegash United Church
Miminegash Methodist Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1879/01/01 to 1881/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/08/11

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Miminegash United Church is a small plain white rural church located along the highway. It has a gable roof, an entrance porch or vestibule, and an array of pointed arch Gothic windows. The registration includes the church and its lot.

Heritage Value

The church is valued for its association with the history of the Methodist and United churches in the area; for its elegant simplistic style; and for its contribution to the landscape of the area.

The Methodist faith had first come to the West Cape area of PEI in 1858. By 1860, there were thirteen preaching places in the area. Construction of this building began in 1879 on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. John and Rebecca Wilkinson, both natives of Lincolnshire, England. All of the materials for the church were obtained locally. The cost of construction was $700. In 1880, the Summerside Journal reported that "the Methodists of Miminegash are erecting a very handsome little church." It would be dedicated in a service held on July 10, 1881. The builder was Archibald Johnstone Leard. Those who assisted in the construction included: Joseph Green, Elijah Costain, Robert McInnis, Richard Costain, John Wilkinson, Sr., James Palmer, Samuel Rix, and Thomas Rix.

Renovations to the building occurred in 1913 and a new organ was installed in June 1915. It became affiliated with the United Church of Canada in 1925. By the early 1980s, a hall was added to the back of the building, but was later removed due to deterioration.

Today, the church is well maintained and is used for services in the summer months.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A26

Character-Defining Elements

The Gothic style character-defining elements of the church include:

- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof
- the pointed arch Gothic windows with tracery
- the entrance vestibule with panelled door and pointed arch transom window above
- the white colour of the building
- the location of the church near the highway on a manicured lawn with a backdrop of trees



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A26

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places