S.R. Drake Memorial Church
British Memorial Episcopal Church
165 Murray Street
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The S. R. Drake Memorial Church, located at 165 Murray Street, is situated on the north side of the street between Darling and Dalhousie Streets, in the City of Brantford. This two-storey brick building was designed with elements characteristic of the Loyalist style and was constructed in 1856.
The property was designated for its historic and architectural significance by the City of Brantford under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 188-85).
The S. R. Drake Memorial Church is associated with the Underground Railroad. Some American run-away slaves fled to Upper Canada via the Underground Railroad system and settled in groups along the Grand River. The Black Settlement of Ontario began after the American Revolution when a group of free blacks, who fought alongside the British, journeyed to Canada, with other settling Loyalists. Those who belonged to the African Methodist Episcopal Church formed the Society of Coloured Methodists, and as early as 1834, they worshipped in private homes. Later, a parcel of land was purchased and a frame church was built. In 1896, the existing brick building was constructed.
In 1856, the denomination changed their name from “African” to “British” to give their place of worship a greater Canadian identity. The new name also protected the congregation from fear of being recaptured by American slave owners or their bounty hunters. During 1956, in honour of the Centennial of the Canadian British Methodist Episcopal Church, the Brantford church was named the S.R. Drake Memorial, in honour of the Revered S.R. Drake, who was the pastor from 1902 until 1909. Rev. Drake was responsible for the incorporation of the British Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1913.
The S. R. Drake Memorial Church was built with elements characteristic of the Loyalist style. The original church, a simple frame building, was constructed for temporary use. It was replaced, in 1896, by the current yellow-brick building. The church is box-like and the gabled roof is steeply pitched. The round top windows on the upper level have rock-faced brick voussoirs, which are mirrored by a small rectangular two over two sash window, on the lower level. A date stone exists on the Murray Street facade indicating the church's founding of 1856, as well as the church's construction of 1896.
Source: City of Brantford By-law 188-85.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the S.R. Drake Memorial Church include its:
- exterior facades
- round-top windows with rock-faced brick voussoirs
- rectangular two over two sash windows on lower level
- round-top transom over the front double doors with rock-faced brick voussoirs
- small arched window and date stone above the entrance doors
- front gabled roofline
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
1856/01/01 à 1856/01/01
1986/01/01 à 1986/01/01
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- Les institutions religieuses
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Religion, rituel et funéraille
- Centre religieux ou lieu de culte
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Brantford
100 Wellington Square
P.O. Box 818
Brantford, ON N3T 5R7
Réfère à une collection