Therese Mair House
Former MacLean House
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
This two-and-one-half storey wood framed building is a prominent structure on the corner of Kent and Richmond Streets in Georgetown. Constructed for use as a store and a residence, the property retains many of its original features. These include the two-over-two windows, the large commercial style four-over-four and three-over-three windows, and the numerous paired brackets of the eaves.
The building is valued for its historical association with the commercial history of Georgetown; for its Georgian and Bracketted architectural style; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
The land on which this building stands was once owned by the Merchants Bank of Prince Edward Island. In 1883, that property was purchased by local merchant, Angus McLean (b. 1846). A fire swept through parts of Georgetown in 1893, destroying many homes. This building was one of those constructed in the aftermath of the fire. It was nearing completion on November 11, 1893, when Angus' son, Russel MacLean (b. 1881), etched his name in one of the panes of the upstairs attic window!
As was once common for merchants, the building was designed to contain both a residence and a store. The style of the two-and-one-half storey structure has Georgian elements in its gable roof with eave returns. The rectangular windows of the upper storeys are two-over-two. The dwelling side of the building features a bay window and bracketted canopy over the door. This once also was covered by a verandah, but this was removed in the 1940s. The commercial side of the building is on the corner of Kent and Richmond Streets. It retains its large multi-paned storefront windows with bracketted cornice above.
In addition to being a store, Angus MacLean also operated a hotel from the premises, calling it the Russel House. In 1903, the property was inherited by Charlotte LeBrocq, Angus' sister-in-law. In 1927, she sold it to Bartlett Mair and it has remained in the Mair family ever since.
A store continued to operate from the building into the early 1970s. Those who operated the store over the years included Russel MacLean, John MacKinnon, Ashley Allen, and Harry Yorston. In recent years, the Mair family has had a small museum on the premises.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR10
The heritage value of the building is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the two-and-one-half storey wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof with eave returns
- the paired eave brackets
- the brick chimney
- the multi-paned commercial style windows
- the bay window
- the two-over-two windows in the second storey
- the bracketted cornice above the commercial windows and entrance
- the transom window above the commercial entrance
- the mature trees and shrubbery around the property
Autorité de reconnaissance
Province de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard
Heritage Places Protection Act
Type de reconnaissance
Endroit historique inscrit au répertoire
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Logement unifamilial
- Commerce / Services commerciaux
- Magasin ou commerce de vente au détail
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR10
Réfère à une collection