Home / Accueil

Townsend Burial Plot

Campbell's Pond - Route 20, Park Corner, Île-du-Prince-Édouard, C0B, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2009/05/11

Overview of Campbell's Pond; George Sanborn, 2005
Overview of Campbell's Pond
Townsend stone in Geddie Memorial cemetery; George Sanborn, 2005
Townsend stone in Geddie Memorial cemetery
View of stones standing near bank, c 1970; PEI PARO P0002994 - Cemetery Files/21-9/P-1
View of stones standing near bank, c 1970

Autre nom(s)


Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2009/07/15

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

The Townsend Burial Plot is a small cemetery located on the eastern shore of Campbell's Pond in Park Corner. This pond is also known as the "Lake of Shining Waters" made famous by L.M. Montgomery. The site once contained several headstones, but these have been moved to the Geddie Memorial Cemetery in Springbrook. The remains of those interred, however, are still on the site which is now overgrown with some small bushes near the bank of the pond.

Valeur patrimoniale

This cemetery is valued for its historical association with the Townsend family of Park Corner as well as other early pioneers to the area.

James Townsend (1739-1806) emigrated from Berkshire, England, with his wife, Elizabeth (Davis) Townsend and their family in 1775. Their vessel, the Elizabeth, was wrecked in New London Bay on a sandbar. Accompanying the Townsends were members of the Blennerhassett, Churchward, and Curtis families. Thomas Curtis later published an account of the voyage.

This was the second trip for the Elizabeth. A year earlier, she had taken out members of the Adams, Chappell, Cole, and Roake families. This first voyage was led by Robert Clark, a Quaker merchant from London who had purchased Lot 21 on St. John's Island and hoped to establish a New London there. After the outbreak of the American Revolution, his plans were dealt a setback and he went bankrupt.

The cemetery located along the bank of what became Campbell's Pond may have begun in 1795, when Elizabeth Townsend died. It was never recorded on known maps of PEI and its exact dimensions are unclear. The site came to also be used by the Montgomery, Moorfield, and Truegard families. Three headstones existed on the site for the Townsend interments and one for the Truegards, but these were moved to the Geddie Memorial Cemetery in Springbrook and placed behind the Soldiers' Monument. Farmland continued to encroach on the site and it was likely thought the stones were threatened. The remains of those individuals interred, however, remain on the site.

The cemetery is an important link to the history of early settlement in the province.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/P31

Éléments caractéristiques

The heritage value of the cemetery is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the location of the cemetery in an overgrown area near the edge of Campbell's Pond
- the unmarked graves on the site




Autorité de reconnaissance

Province de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard

Loi habilitante

Heritage Places Protection Act

Type de reconnaissance

Endroit historique inscrit au répertoire

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Un territoire à peupler
Les établissements

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction



Religion, rituel et funéraille
Site funéraire, cimetière ou enclos

Architecte / Concepteur




Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/P31

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées



Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches